Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 5174 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Star Trek
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
I'd recommend seeing the new Star Trek movie. I found it ot be great fun - it completely washed away a 15-year trauma inflicted by seeing the Neelix character in ST: Voyager  >:(
DM Bjørn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
Greatest thing about that movie: It completely washes away the entire Star Trek history  ;D
 Clean slate baby!

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:20 AM »
I'm still baffled that warships come without seatbelts... I mean, seriously. Whats up with that?
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »
Greatest thing about that movie: It completely washes away the entire Star Trek history  ;D
 Clean slate baby!

I'm enough of a Trekkie to have regrets for that, actually.  It vaguely bothers me to see all the heroics and victories wiped away.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the movie pretty well.  My main irritation was that there would be things that appeared to be gaping plot holes that were then plugged eventually, but only after they'd been bothering me for half an hour.  I think I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »
I watched it for the second time yesterday (at how, with no annoying Norwegian text) and those plot holes you referred to didn't feel so obvious.

There were a few unnecessary special effect scenes (the winter planet monsters come to mind, as does the transwarp-beaming into a tube-filled-with-water thing), but over all a very 'tight' story, very few boring moments.

In all a very good movie.

DM Bjørn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »
I agree... being a semi-treckie myself, I was a bit irred by some stuff, untill the word "alternate universe" popped up. That one word changed the whole movie in my perspective, since it's an old Star Trek plot to dump stuff in alternate universes when they feel like trying some new things.

I was not completely satisfied with the guy who played young Spock, but I think Bones and Kirk was dead on. And I thought it fitting to have Nimoy read the last monologue... kinda wrapped it up nicely.

By the way, was I the only one who thought the green girl Kirk makes out with looked pretty darn hot as she lay on the bed?  ::)

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 03:52:20 AM »

By the way, was I the only one who thought the green girl Kirk makes out with looked pretty darn hot as she lay on the bed?  ::)

Definitely a hottie!  I also enjoyed the rest of the movie, and did not mind the "rewriting" of history.  All in all, quite enjoyable and looking forward to a follow up!
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Aerenwe/TS (Miloš)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
    • timeKraft
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
I hated the rewriting of history and I will probably hate when they release the new series with new actors, then the new Next Generation, then the new Deep Space Nine, all set in the new alternate universe they created with the latest movie.

Other than that, it's ok I guess. Most of the actors look and act more or less like the ones from the first movie and series. I didn't like that shaky amateur-like camera they used in some scenes but I guess I just got used to it after some time.
Tasaenae Swordwraith,
By the Grace of Haelyn and Nesirie,
Queen of Aerenwe,
Countess of Calrie,
Protector and High Warden of the Erebannien

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
I hated the rewriting of history and I will probably hate when they release the new series with new actors, then the new Next Generation, then the new Deep Space Nine, all set in the new alternate universe they created with the latest movie.

Other than that, it's ok I guess. Most of the actors look and act more or less like the ones from the first movie and series. I didn't like that shaky amateur-like camera they used in some scenes but I guess I just got used to it after some time.

Amen... I see a whole line of Star Trek redux in the making. Oh the possible pain!

Well... Actually it might be pretty fun, I enjoyed the redux of Battlestar Galactica immensely  :)