Author Topic: DO template contest  (Read 7109 times)

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
Re: DO template contest
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
Ok, I've tried an excel version of the template I built.

The DC calculator and dice roller aren't done yet - I'm not sure how to mechanically go about building them and will probably need help from one of the excel guru's (assuming that Bjorn/Jon like the sheet anyway).  I'm thinking that we'll need the DM to say 'yes/no' to advantage and hardiness, but otherwise the sheet should be able to link into the P&H for much of the info - one problem will be it knowing what holding to look at - we may need to split out each holding type as a separate action for rule/contest actions.

Let me know if anything is missing / unclear.

The idea in the column width and merged cells btw is so that you can copy the P&H info on your action  directly underneath your action fluff to reduce the need for Bjorn/Jon to have to check between the spreadsheets.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
just gave a quick glance...

seems quite useful to me...e.g. the excel can help Bjorn and Jon to more easily calculate GB and RP remaining

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
I had hoped to build in at least a DDC calculator, but I think that it will need Bjorn/Jon to at least tick advantage and hardiness boxes - and someone to build look-up tables and so on.

Plus some stuff affects the die-roll, and some the DDC - mathematically there is no difference to the chance of success, but it complicates the layout of the roll.

Basically I tried to recreate the DO on page 1, build the action table on page 2 to identify all modifiers for any action chosen, and the look-up table info on the the other pages was lifted from the P&H.

One obvious flaw is that you'd have to put your own holdings in the top row of the rows pasted from the P&H when copying the rows from the P&H below your action.

Also I don't know the look-up for the admin action success - it should be doable to make that a tick box and auto-calculate formula, although I'd probably need to split out a column in the minion table for admin skill (including feat, ability score, etc bonuses).
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »
Something that is notoriously difficult is getting a random engine thats actually random. Add to the fact that most d20's are somewhat low quality and trend towards the values 11 and 12 and its impossible to match the die roll with a randomizer thats electronic.

Also, if you kill off Bjørn's dice rolls, are you sure you are doing him a favor?  ;D

I mean, rolling dice is fun.  8)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 09:36:49 AM »
Something that is notoriously difficult is getting a random engine thats actually random. Add to the fact that most d20's are somewhat low quality and trend towards the values 11 and 12 and its impossible to match the die roll with a randomizer thats electronic.

Also, if you kill off Bjørn's dice rolls, are you sure you are doing him a favor?  ;D

I mean, rolling dice is fun.  8)

One of the things I love more, as DM