Author Topic: Diplomacy Actions and the Sword & Crown  (Read 11329 times)

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
Diplomacy Actions and the Sword & Crown
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:09:18 AM »
Hey everyone!

I understand the basic mechanics of Diplomacy, however, I would appreciate the shedding of some additional light on how the diplomacy action might be best utilized in the context of the upcoming Sword & Crown.  It can get a little complicated when I attempt to figure out the DDC for a particular agreement. 

For example, if I and a potential diplomacy partner are together at the S&C, what in game advantages are there compared to dealing directly with that partner (i.e. not even going to the S&C)? 

What happens if there are three or more partners to an agreement?

Which court modifiers apply (mine? theirs? each/all?).

Any unique strategic opportunities that would not have been possible (or more difficult) if it was not done at the S&C (past experience or in general)?   ;)

Anything else worthy of mentioning?   ???

Thanks!
Greg
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Re: Diplomacy Actions and the Sword & Crown
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:55:43 AM »
The main difference between the S&C and normal Diplomacy is that the S&C acts as Anuire's largest Council.  By spending one Regent action, you can attend the S&C.  You can then, as free actions, conduct as much Diplomacy as you wish with anyone also attending.  This can save a massive number of actions if you have a lot of Diplomacy to do.

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:11:02 AM »

OoC:

Regent Guide quote:  "Action modifiers for court affect your actions regardless of what province they take place in."

• Former players
  • Scion
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 05:28:48 AM »
The main difference between the S&C and normal Diplomacy is that the S&C acts as Anuire's largest Council.  By spending one Regent action, you can attend the S&C.  You can then, as free actions, conduct as much Diplomacy as you wish with anyone also attending.  This can save a massive number of actions if you have a lot of Diplomacy to do.

Wow, that's sweet!  Thanks Bobby.  :)

So, I'm curious what the record is for most successful Diplomacy actions?  I would guess that it took place at the S&C!
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

• Former players
  • Scion
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:31:55 AM »

OoC:

Regent Guide quote:  "Action modifiers for court affect your actions regardless of what province they take place in."

Thanks Brandon, that makes sense. 

For some reason I thought there might be an additional influence modifier because of the S&C.  Makes it easier that there isn't, so, good!  :)
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »

Wow, that's sweet!  Thanks Bobby.  :)

So, I'm curious what the record is for most successful Diplomacy actions?  I would guess that it took place at the S&C!

Personally, I think the most successful Diplomacy action was conducted at the tip of the sword, with an army waiting just outside the door, and went along the lines of "you belong to me, now..."  ::)

• Former players
  • Scion
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:13 PM »

Personally, I think the most successful Diplomacy action was conducted at the tip of the sword, with an army waiting just outside the door, and went along the lines of "you belong to me, now..."  ::)

LOL...  Good one!   :)

Anyone else recall a particularly tricky/complicated diplomacy from prior S&C's?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:38:25 AM by DM Bjørn »
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
So basicly one needs only to do one Diplomacy action? Does ones regent need to, beside the Diplomacy action, to do an extra order to travel to the Imperial capital?
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
We usually don't bother too much with the travel character action if you're also conducting an action in the place you're going to.

In some circumstances where the journey is long and arduous, there will be demands for travel actions, but that will be specified by Bjørn.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »
Then I will assume the distance from either Ilien or IHH's court does not constitute for such an extra travel action
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:32:12 PM »
You assume correctly.

Generally you could say that the travel action is included in any regent or adventure action. Only if you need to go really long or arduous distances will you have to use a travel action - and you will always be informed by the DM if this is the case.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:53:22 PM »
As a probably stupid question, is the S&C action 1, 2 or 3 in the season?

Do those travelling from some distance (muggins for example) need to take more than one action?

Mechanically do we need to perform diplomacy with everyone over whose roads/rivers/hills/etc we pass or is there a general 'olympic amnesty' for travelers that only the truly despicable would breach?
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
As a probably stupid question, is the S&C action 1, 2 or 3 in the season?

Do those travelling from some distance (muggins for example) need to take more than one action?

Mechanically do we need to perform diplomacy with everyone over whose roads/rivers/hills/etc we pass or is there a general 'olympic amnesty' for travelers that only the truly despicable would breach?

There are no stupid questions.

The S&C covers the entire season. You only need one action to participate. We don't bother with what actual segment of a season actions happen in.

Offline X-Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 11
  • Carvaloen, Archduke Diemed
    • Urvaius: Chronicles of the Gold Knight
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 04:35:53 PM »
Well, if one of your diplomacies is targeted at trying to have something occur later in that season, I would say his question about what month it happens in is relevant.

Also, his question about general travel amnesty.  I'm guessing if you stayed to the roads and just traveled through a domain unless the domain was outright hostile to travelers (closed borders, the spiderfell, five peaks, etc.) It would be assumed your travel papers and arrangements are in order.

I think where this gets hairy would be that you should make as many arrangements as possible with the destination province? 

So I would thus assume that if you reply to the chamberlain you are going to attend the S&C, getting there for most civilized provinces should be assumed.  Is that so?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:56:15 PM by Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon) »
--Archduke Diemed

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »
I have, in various dispatches, invited my vassals as well. Is it safe to assume they will attend?

I've begun to think of the little buggers as independent NPC's who happen to pay me regency or gold, but really, each should be handled separately and I still worry this will eat alot of my focus in the game.

Especially since the current GM ruling is that there is no diplomatic treaty in place to make stuff like adding law holdings or counting on hardness or advantage dependable.

I mean, if my vassals do not show up at the S&C, then I can't make a single treaty that assumes advantage to some other actor within my domain but will have to spend later diplomacy actions on each vassal, binding them to grant advantage where I need it.

I'll not even begin to describe the issues that crops up if they start resisting this idea. (Which they probably will)  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.