Author Topic: Controlling Vassals  (Read 5560 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Controlling Vassals
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:16:56 AM »
A few questions regarding vassals:

1. Are they full domains able to take a full set of domain actions, as in 3 regent actions, 1 bonus class action, 1 lt action etc.?

2. If I want to change taxes across my realm, including vassal provinces, do I use 1 action and it is done, or do I have to request that each vassal change the tax in their provinces to what I want.

3. Do I have to pay an action, to order a vassal to perform an action on my behalf?

4. Is this written somewhere I just haven't found yet?  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
Re: Controlling Vassals
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:08:22 AM »
A few questions regarding vassals:

1. Are they full domains able to take a full set of domain actions, as in 3 regent actions, 1 bonus class action, 1 lt action etc.?

2. If I want to change taxes across my realm, including vassal provinces, do I use 1 action and it is done, or do I have to request that each vassal change the tax in their provinces to what I want.

3. Do I have to pay an action, to order a vassal to perform an action on my behalf?

4. Is this written somewhere I just haven't found yet?  :)

1. Yes, but they have their own agendas, and are typically assumed to use their actions to maintain their holdings and domain.
2. Request.  Usually diplomacy will handle this.  I would note that if your relationship with your vassal is sound, usually asking them to change should be all that you need to do.
3. No, I think. Can you clarify this??
4. Nope.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »
3. Clarification: If I must use Diplomacy, its an action. If I can simply send a dispatch, asking nicely, its not an action. - Massive difference.

I guess I'll find out soon as I'll have to fill out my DO and submit it.  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »
You can ask him with a dispatch, but he will generally not have any obligation to follow your request, unless it is something you've previously agreed in a treaty.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Oh yes, I can deal with insubordination, I just need to know what mechanics to expect.  :)

I think I have it down now. However, I expect the GM's will be spending a lot of time as various vassals.  :P

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
I think I have it down now. However, I expect the GM's will be spending a lot of time as various vassals.  :P

I hope not -- this takes too much time away from running the important NPC domains.
You should endeavor to establish relationships with your vassals and to actually get diplomatic arrangement from them -- this way you can be sure they are going to do what you want, and these actions are a little less draining that trying to remember what the vassal is like, what they said, etc,etc,etc for the DMs.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
In general vassals will be doing this each turn:

1. Improving prosperity (in own realm)
2. Engaging in diplomacy
3. Doing some espionage
4. Doing something else

That accounts for 3 regent actions and a bonus action for class. Some, but not all, vassals also have lieutenants and get the 5th action.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
That accounts for 3 regent actions and a bonus action for class. Some, but not all, vassals also have lieutenants and get the 5th action.

Read: Major Vassals.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Correct.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

I hope not -- this takes too much time away from running the important NPC domains.
You should endeavor to establish relationships with your vassals and to actually get diplomatic arrangement from them -- this way you can be sure they are going to do what you want, and these actions are a little less draining that trying to remember what the vassal is like, what they said, etc,etc,etc for the DMs.

I see, so negotiate a "script" for the vassals and establish it as a diplomatic action. Hm, I guess the Sword and Crown is a good time to get this down pat.

Thanks for all the comments!