Author Topic: Minimum source levels  (Read 6263 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Minimum source levels
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
After working a lot on the P&H and finding the 'perfect' province levels for various realms, terrains and climates I've come to the conclusion that mages are unduly hampered.

Therefore I'm contemplating a Minimum Source Level rule:

Unless otherwise stated the minimum magic potential of a province will be 1 (instead of 0 as it is today).

Various specials which give a min source level would also be upgraded by 1 lvl if this rule is implemented.

Comments?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:00:24 PM by DM B »
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
Re: Minimum source levels
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
The reasoning behind this rule: There is always SOME magic potential left in a province, even if heavily settled.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »
I like this idea.  I wonder though if it would be beneifical to have minimum source level set by terrain type instead of a more global minimum.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
I like this idea.  I wonder though if it would be beneifical to have minimum source level set by terrain type instead of a more global minimum.

Doesn't the terrain type set a sort of limit in itself? Marshes aren't easy to build in, so most people might avoid it for more favourable real estate, probably leaving the minimum source level higher than 1.
I like the concept that there's always something left, even if you have to dig deep under a city to find it.

Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
In plainy Anuire with lots of high level provinces there will be lots of lvl 0 sources, plus some high-level sources at the fringes. Doesn't feel quite right.

Alan: That's a decent idea, but as Thorstean says - if its a rugged terrain this will sort of regulate itself. Mostly this is a problem for nice coastal, river, hot temperate plains...

Playing with the numbers a bit - Aerenwe for example is effects, gaining lvl 1 source for its provinces. Same with Avanil.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
Doesn't the terrain type set a sort of limit in itself? Marshes aren't easy to build in, so most people might avoid it for more favourable real estate, probably leaving the minimum source level higher than 1.
I like the concept that there's always something left, even if you have to dig deep under a city to find it.

I agree with you and Bjorn.  Indirectly this does set the minimum source level, but I was, think more about provinces that have significant secondary terrains and the like. 

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
Alan: I've looked at places like Coeranys; and your point is even more valid there. It seems there should be instances where min level is set to 2 for example.

I must explore this further.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:01:06 PM by DM B »
DM Bjørn

Offline X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:07:23 PM »
How about setting the minimum to 1/3 of the maximum magic potential?

Will see you with a remainder between 1 and 3 in each province.
Most Sacred Broker Ruormad Coumain, Patriach of the Celestial Jewel of Sarimie.
The wise man invests in times of plenty to ensure plenty in times of hardship.

Offline X-Sea Witch/Aneira (John)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »
I'm a newbie to the game and haven't had time to get familiar with the wider setting.  However, I did recently go through an exercise of checking my sources against the P&H to make sure they were accurate so have data rather handy.

As someone whose source holdings are almost exclusively coastal I found the following:
* about one third of my holdings are level zero
* half are level zero or level one
* almost half are level 3+
* Aneira could (with the GB and free actions) get about 20% of her holdings up to level 5 (higher in two instances).

So I have the basis for a reasonable domain size (meaning RP collection up to my bloodline score) with access to more than one source 5+.  Well placed ley lines then give Aneira access to what I consider to be powerful sources relative to her level.  If province levels do not increase quickly then the Sea Witch is probably OK in the short to medium term.  However, if province growth occurs on a semi-frequent basis in her domain, then that could have a marked effect.

So at a game stat level I am pretty happy with how things are currently (especially compared to how poorly placed Hermedhie usually is in vanilla BR).  I don't, accordingly, see this through the lens of wanting to ensure my character has nice source holdings at her disposal.

At a conceptual level I like the suggestion.  Even in highly settled areas natural forces or energies still exist.  The sun rising in the morning and awakening all the cultivated crop plants could produce a 'regular' energy flow or source that could be tapped into.  Coastal provinces all have a coastline meaning there are tidal energies or the energy released by crashing waves to tap into.  Provinces bordering rivers likewise have an energy source to utilise (a bit like a hydro dam really).  Those natural energy sources will exist regardless of the province level, so the idea there is always something there makes some sense and is appealing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:42:29 PM by Sea Witch/Aneira (John) »
Aneira Taren, Sea Witch of the South Coast.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

Relatively sweet; except that most provinces have 6+ base magic potential...

But a simple universal rule is the way to go.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
I'm a newbie to the game and haven't had time to get familiar with the wider setting.  However, I did recently go through an exercise of checking my sources against the P&H to make sure they were accurate so have data rather handy.

As someone whose source holdings are almost exclusively coastal I found the following:
* about one third of my holdings are level zero
* half are level zero or level one
* almost half are level 3+
* Aneira could (with the GB and free actions) get about 20% of her holdings up to level 5 (higher in two instances).

So I have the basis for a reasonable domain size (meaning RP collection up to my bloodline score) with access to more than one source 5+.  Well placed ley lines then give Aneira access to what I consider to be powerful sources relative to her level.  If province levels do not increase quickly then the Sea Witch is probably OK in the short to medium term.  However, if province growth occurs on a semi-frequent basis in her domain, then that could have a marked effect.

So at a game stat level I am pretty happy with how things are currently (especially compared to how poorly placed Hermedhie usually is in vanilla BR).  I don't, accordingly, see this through the lens of wanting to ensure my character has nice source holdings at her disposal.

At a conceptual level I like the suggestion.  Even in highly settled areas natural forces or energies still exist.  The sun rising in the morning and awakening all the cultivated crop plants could produce a 'regular' energy flow or source that could be tapped into.  Coastal provinces all have a coastline meaning there are tidal energies or the energy released by crashing waves to tap into.  Provinces bordering rivers likewise have an energy source to utilise (a bit like a hydro dam really).  Those natural energy sources will exist regardless of the province level, so the idea there is always something there makes some sense and is appealing.

Province growth happens VERY rarely except for very low-level provinces in desirable areas. So usually not a problem.

If min source was = 1 then mage would have the ability to cast weak realm magic without needing expensive ley lines.

Might even make it worthwhile to battle over such sources.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »

In those rare moments, where you think look/feel and whatnot require it, you can dditional effects like "Magic Poor -1 MinSP", etc. to help.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:32:04 PM by Osoerde/William Osoer (Alan) »

Offline X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 01:41:02 AM »

Maybe just make it a table:

base potential 1-6 = min 1
base potential 7-8 = min 2
base potential 9+ = min 3

Means that most fully developed provinces are a 1, 2 for some that had high potential in the past and 3 for the rare ones that are carved out of ancient forests and the like.
Most Sacred Broker Ruormad Coumain, Patriach of the Celestial Jewel of Sarimie.
The wise man invests in times of plenty to ensure plenty in times of hardship.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
Setting the minimum any higher than 1 wouldn't that mean ALOT more regency becoming available to mages?

Even at a minimum of lvl 1 I'd squeal like a girl if I was a Source domain.

But I like the basic idea. It doesn't make sense that civilization, at the ROE level, completely destroys magic. - Of course, one could argue that the mebheighl is warped by the people living there, and feed into the Temples magical power as ordered, structured and aligned energy.

Sort of a division between Arcane and Divine potential pr. province. - But still, Arcane should not be reduced to 0 in any event, I agree on that.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:29:46 AM »
Hmmm, maybe invent a building that can increase minimum Source? - A civilized way to "build" a Source.

So if the rule increases the minimum to 1, then a building can increase That to 2 and a larger one to 3 but no higher. - These virtual Source levels must be Ruled just like other Sources and the buildings maintained and can be fought over. Probably have to be placed in awkward places too.

But it would make certain that any realm has access to at least level 3 arcane realm magic, if willing to make the effort.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.