Author Topic: Domain caster level  (Read 10361 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: Domain caster level
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
A potential problem with giving high level sources holdings of existing types, is with 'new-found' provinces - a very high source level and not much else.  The wizard could stop just about anything happening as they'd have advantage/hardiness/etc - adding to the natural difficulty of creating and ruling holdings in a wild land.

That said I like the idea of limited income, and of some interaction - and certainly in an isolated realm the wizardly court would have reasonable influence compared to in more populous lands where there are many numerous organisations.  The question to me would then be how to set the rules to give them influence (tapering rapidly as the realm size grew) but not dominance.

Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:22 AM »
The holdings don't neccessarily have anything to do with high-level source holdings but rather 'well-established' source domains.  In a way, this is conceding what has been a long standing idea about source domains, i.e. that they are insubstanial, ephemereal, if you will.

I think I have an idea that could do this.

High MSP grants virtual trade holdings in a province equal to the MSP - 4.  These holdings can only be created by Source domains.  In all other respects, they act as trade holdings.  These holding represent wizardly services for hire, tutelage, sage services, alchemical, and/or other wizardly/scholarly services within the province.

Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
I'm not sure if you need the virtual holding - mechanically you could make a formula to generate income in a source holding above a certain level, although the virtual holding would allow differentiation between 'mercantile' and 'mystical' source holdings - you could for example allow 1/3 virtual holdings (round down) for each theoretical source level and then leave it to the source holders to create and rule them or not - and contest them if need be.  Would you use GB or a 'magic only GB' substitute?

One key game issue would however be sidhe realms - any income rules for source holdings would benefit them signficantly, although not enough to compensate them for having no temples and minimal guilds I suspect.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded