Author Topic: Influence  (Read 12490 times)

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
Re: Influence
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »
So you will no longer be able to spend influence on a create holding action unless you have a holding in the province already or is the province ruler?
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 05:59:25 AM »
So you will no longer be able to spend influence on a create holding action unless you have a holding in the province already or is the province ruler?

There are always exceptions...as usual individual action description can override general rules.

In this case both Create Holding and Create province are exempt from the rule.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »

So here is the deal:

RP&GB will count equally for purposes of Influence (yes, that will change several dynamic-balance-thingies; intentionally - for example, guilders are too effective when compared to other regents, now their gold will be worth comparatively less to then, but even more to other regents...as loans and gifts...which I think is a vast improvement).

Positive Influence gives you a bonus to your DAC (either specified Effort or from Offensive Pool/Purse)
Negative Influence increases the DDC of your opponent (from Defensive Pool/Purse)

1 RP&GB buy +1 Influence

BUT (inspired by how I do character skills in BR) there are THRESHOLDS of diminishing returns (which was the real reason behind the 1/2/3/4/5 RP per influence in he first place, only this works MUCH better)

The first 5 Influence costs 1 RP/GB per +1
The next 5 Influence costs 2 RP/GB per +1 (15 total for a +10 bonus)
The next 5 Influence costs 3 RP/GB per +1 (30 total for a +15 bonus)

This will help limit the Always 2+ syndrome and make it more worthwhile to use Realm actions.

I need to carefully check all the action mods so that no action gets to difficult/expensive to use.

More later.

OoC:

If two or more domains should employ influence toward the failure of a given action, what would be the implications, in terms of the cost of negative influence?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:48:54 AM by Points East/EL (Brandon) »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
I have not yet decided; it is on my to do/simulation list.

Two viable alternatives:

A) Each domain applies separately.
B) All positive/negative effort is combined, and then Influence is calculated.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
Wait, so not only does "scheduled" influence diminishing returns, but if you have to pull more influence from the defensive/offensive pool, that too is subject to diminishing returns?

If that is the case, then you will typically hit the Aggressor hardest, as it is likely they have already spent Some influence to even set up the action, so they are closer to the next "step" in the cost ladder.

The Defender starts at 1:1 always.

Maybe "pool" influence is always 1:1? - I mean it only gets triggered if someone else is using influence in the first place, so scheduling an action with a DDC of 19 and hoping someone influences it, so you can trigger your offensive pool at 1:1 is really dumb.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:34 AM »
It won't. As long as you have a holding/province rulership you can use Influence. If you don't, you can't (only exception are actions such as Diplomacy that aren't tied to a province - anyone can use regency on those).

Ok, anyone expecting a straight answer out of HA as regards some requested southern intrigue/espionage is out of luck as a) I don't know which action it's supposed to be and b) I can't spend influence as I have no holdings.

Phew, of the hook...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
How about this...

There are basically three ways to spend influence:
Planned Influence - This is influence used directly on actions in your DO. Multiple regents can spend influence on an action in the DO (supporters put theirs under "free actions") and it is subject to diminishing returns. All the planned influence that is spent is pooled together and then used to increase the DAC.

Defensive Pool - This is used to counteract other's actions. Actions that other initiate within your sphere of influence (ie. where you can spend influence). Each point of influence (GB or RP) used from defensive pool adds 1 to the DDC.

Offensive Pool - Offensive pool is used to counteract defensive pools. If someone spends influence from a defensive pool to hinder an action you initiated, or to hinder an action that you specified in your DO (offensive pool notes) that you want to assist, then you can use you offensive pool. You can only spend as much from your offensive pool as there has been spent from one or more defensive pools to hinder the action.

Examples & Permutations:
Regent A takes an action within Regent B's sphere of influence. In his DO he spends 15 planned influence to give himself +10 to the DAC. His action activates regent B's Defensive Pool, Regent B spends 10 Influence to raise the DDC by 10. In response Regent A spends 10 Influence from his Offensive Pool to aid the action, giving +10 DAC. The final DDC is increased by 10, the DAC is increased by +20 in total from influence.

Regent A undertakes and action in Regent B, C and D's sphere of influence. Regent A and C spends 30 planned influence to aid the action, giving +15 to the DAC. In response Regent B spends 20 influence from his defensive pool to hinder the action. Regent A, C and D then spend 20 influence from their Offensive pool to aid the action. The Final DDC is increased by +20, the final DAC is increased by +35, through influence.

Savvy?
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
What is the latest word on influence rules? It looks to have been altered in the latest DO template, so I assume some change have happened.

E
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
The DO template uses the new ones, but they haven't been announced in the Errata sub-forum.  Bjorn?  This is pretty relevant to a couple of my actions.

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »

What is the latest word on influence rules? It looks to have been altered in the latest DO template, so I assume some change have happened.

E

The DO template uses the new ones, but they haven't been announced in the Errata sub-forum.  Bjorn?  This is pretty relevant to a couple of my actions.

OoC:

The following quoted content is excerpted from an e-mail from DM Bjørn (from April 2010, if not mistaken):  "Influence threshold will not be implemented THIS turn, that is for certain. Perhaps never."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »
The spreadsheets seem to imply a threshhold though.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
The spreadsheets seem to imply a threshhold though.

I'll take into account ACTUAL RP spent. I'm ignoring the auto-calc made by the sheet.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
Hello

Sorry, but I'm left confused.  :)

Diminishing returns was taken back out, but did we also go back to old RP rates? - 2:1 best influence rate or did it become 1:1?
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:01 AM »
Hello

Sorry, but I'm left confused.  :)

Diminishing returns was taken back out, but did we also go back to old RP rates? - 2:1 best influence rate or did it become 1:1?

No changes have been made to the influence system. Same as before. I was working on some rules, but until I have have time to work on the RG again its put on hold.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 05:56:04 AM »
Curiosity: Are we still looking at implementing this somewhere along the line, once you find time to do Guide work again, Bjorn?