Author Topic: MIRROR - Goblins as citizens, challenges of modern realms  (Read 17910 times)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: MIRROR - Goblins as citizens, challenges of modern realms
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
Robert that is a good point. I may even go as far as to take it as an advice and follow it myself 8)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
Personally, I refrain from "galaxy wide" debates that I got sort of fed up with in other PBEMs so I choose not to participate in such things unless my regent is physically present. It sort of messes up my suspension of disbelief when our regents are engaging in a dispute with people across the continent. In other PBEMs the only result were enmities that had little to no actual rationale, like Medoere meddling in a Dhoesone/Stjordvik issue or Taeghas telling Coeranys how to handle this or that which isn't all that realistic and tends to send armies on ludicrous wars a gazillion miles away :)

It also makes the S&C and other similar gatherings that much more special.

Now, if somone asks Arvour personally what he thinks on the goblin issue he might be inclined to share his thoughts, but not via a letter sent out to "everyone in Anuire"

Thanks Robert, you sum up exactly what I dislike about global chat in PBeMs. In a previous game I tried to participate, the whole game decended into an acrimonious debate with people leaving the game before turn 1 had even started.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
It can however be an awfully quiet game if there is no such forum - a ruler may well interact with half a dozen domains in their realm or nearby, a wizard regent otoh may literally have no one to talk to other than their regent and maybe one or two other wizards - and the lack of interaction then drives minor regents from the game.  For some players the forum is the only real interaction they get...

That said, odd friendships and enmities are surely one of the joys of playing?   NPC's being active in RoE (unlike, sadly, in so many other games) freakish wars and alliances should be tempered - king A may like queen B, but if he tries to send 20 regiments across the continent to aid her against King C his people are likely to ask what the heck he's doing leaving them defenceless to aid a realm they've never heard of... Even sending a few GB could result in some sign of disapproval...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »
To be honest, both my original posts were with intent to discuss.  :)

However, I had no idea to what degree it would spill over into ingame animousity.

I can understand why people prefer to avoid this in a pbem, and will definately refrain from such loaded debates in the future, as regent at least.

Because I do feel we should be able to discuss things here in the forums, without the stake of our realms in the balance, or people feeling they have to object to the strange idea of mass communication.

Hmm... What if the Courts of Anuire were displaced to Anuire City, and all regents can send a diplomat there. The grouchy old fools would run around having meetings, holding personal grudges and make the life of the other diplomats hell.

They'd be mostly forgotten and ignored by their realms, sending their reports back home to arrive months later.

It'd be relatively harmless, but we'd all be able to post whatever and assume that we can herd all the other diplomats into a big domed room and take turns fighting to hold the speakers floor. Roman senate style. Except the topics would most of the time be which realm holds the kitchen duty this month.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
To be honest, both my original posts were with intent to discuss.  :)

However, I had no idea to what degree it would spill over into ingame animousity.

I can understand why people prefer to avoid this in a pbem, and will definately refrain from such loaded debates in the future, as regent at least.

Because I do feel we should be able to discuss things here in the forums, without the stake of our realms in the balance, or people feeling they have to object to the strange idea of mass communication.

Hmm... What if the Courts of Anuire were displaced to Anuire City, and all regents can send a diplomat there. The grouchy old fools would run around having meetings, holding personal grudges and make the life of the other diplomats hell.

They'd be mostly forgotten and ignored by their realms, sending their reports back home to arrive months later.

It'd be relatively harmless, but we'd all be able to post whatever and assume that we can herd all the other diplomats into a big domed room and take turns fighting to hold the speakers floor. Roman senate style. Except the topics would most of the time be which realm holds the kitchen duty this month.

No worries, it's good to get these things defined. It's really a question of what the RoE style of gaming is. I've participated in a couple of different games wherein different versions was used.

It's been tried at least once to create a common meeting ground for the nobles of Anuire, but most weren't really interested in expanding on the social event of the S&C. Furthermore it is generally believed that to centre anything further in Anuire City would be to play into the hands of Avan - and after Boer declared himself King, it kind of became a moot point. Everyone has been quite focused on the survival of their realms and not the niceties of diplomacy.

The Anuire of RoE is torn to shreds by repeated conflict and war.

But by all means, if you think it a good idea - put it forward at the S&C.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2009, 06:22:49 PM »
It can however be an awfully quiet game if there is no such forum - a ruler may well interact with half a dozen domains in their realm or nearby, a wizard regent otoh may literally have no one to talk to other than their regent and maybe one or two other wizards - and the lack of interaction then drives minor regents from the game.  For some players the forum is the only real interaction they get...

That said, odd friendships and enmities are surely one of the joys of playing?   NPC's being active in RoE (unlike, sadly, in so many other games) freakish wars and alliances should be tempered - king A may like queen B, but if he tries to send 20 regiments across the continent to aid her against King C his people are likely to ask what the heck he's doing leaving them defenceless to aid a realm they've never heard of... Even sending a few GB could result in some sign of disapproval...

I agree with you on this, Andy. We can't protect the game from player enmity etc. It's obviously important to prevent it from spiralling into people actually leaving the game in anger, but not at the cost of RPG opportunities.

That said it's also important to keep within the same frame of the "rules", so the IC forums isn't for dispatch communication to all Anuire - unless the player is actually willing to pay the possible cost.

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »

IMO, a regent has as many communication partners as his domain requires, +/- personal preference. As the ruler of Roesone, I expect to "chat" with those within my realm regularly, frequently with my allies/neighbors and friends, and not that often with others. Quite frankly, there's very little need for the baron of Roesone to do more than exchange pleasantries at a S&C with the likes of Tuornen, Talinie or Dhoesone (to name a few). We've no common interests, adversaries or goals for the most part and the  occasional meeting to discuss a possible threat of "continental" importance is enough for me. Baron Arvour is certainly no philosopher to debate the finer points of society or religion (maybe a bit, being a Cuiraecen paladin) for its own sake with the priest regent of Talinie or to discuss the arcane nature of the Shadow world with Arlen Innis of Boeruine. Now, if there were a debate on the latest fad in siege warfare, that might spark sufficient interest for him to participate if he can leave his domain for the duration. Also, despite being a paladin he will not commit Roesonean forces to the defense of a faraway realm that he has no personal relationship with, so a "global" call for aid is definitely not going to appeal to him, unless Azrai or some such is the one invading.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 11
  • Carvaloen, Archduke Diemed
    • Urvaius: Chronicles of the Gold Knight
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2009, 03:50:58 PM »

Even a minor wizard regent, if they should feel adventurous, can stir up more trouble than their weight in gold if they be ambitious enough!  >:(

as for the issue on goblinkind and since we are dealing with stereotypes, I would assume Orthodox temples would take a harder partyline against the toads than say the reformists would.  Is this the case?  ???

Also, I did a google search for racial slurs and epithet's for goblins and other fantasy creatures and came up emptyhanded.  maybe we could start a list here, it could make our role-play IC more "flavorful"  ;D
--Archduke Diemed

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »
For what it is worth the long pause in the pro-blodtheft and Goblin equal-rights movement have made me think twice. I would like to have my IC remarks in this matter ignored and I will try to stay out from future global debates inspired by Roberts post som 20+ days ago.

In game and thus IC IHH have little reason to turn hostile on Elinie => If my remarks are to stand please let me know and I will play along those lines but unless that happens I will stay civil untill IC reasons for being a prick
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »
Regarding names for goblins, I've had Aegis people use 'brutes' to refer to the bugbears and 'scrawns' to refer to the 'real goblins' as differentiators.  I generally dislike using actual obscenities as even if directed elsewhere they are unpleasant and encourage a nasty gaming atmosphere.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded