Author Topic: Diplomacy Actions and the Sword & Crown  (Read 9013 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Diplomacy Actions and the Sword & Crown
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
I have, in various dispatches, invited my vassals as well. Is it safe to assume they will attend?

I've begun to think of the little buggers as independent NPC's who happen to pay me regency or gold, but really, each should be handled separately and I still worry this will eat alot of my focus in the game.

Especially since the current GM ruling is that there is no diplomatic treaty in place to make stuff like adding law holdings or counting on hardness or advantage dependable.

I mean, if my vassals do not show up at the S&C, then I can't make a single treaty that assumes advantage to some other actor within my domain but will have to spend later diplomacy actions on each vassal, binding them to grant advantage where I need it.

I'll not even begin to describe the issues that crops up if they start resisting this idea. (Which they probably will)  :)

You can order them to come and they might comply, but are you REALLY certain you want to wash your dirty laundry with all of Anuire to watch!? What if something unforeseen happens? Then they'll be able to walk right across the yard and have seditious talk with whoever happens to want to bugger you  ;D

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
Nielse may I suggest you make a court session at home as well as participate in the S & C? The Court Session if for making diplomacy with you vasals only. Alternately do it next round.

I for one would be real carefull washing my dirty laundry in public
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »
Well, if one of your diplomacies is targeted at trying to have something occur later in that season, I would say his question about what month it happens in is relevant.

The Diplomacy action would generally be resolved at the end of the turn (together with all other actions), with any effect coming into force from the next turn. There are of course exceptions to this, but don't expect to finish a Diplomacy action in a rush in an attempt to get a bonus on e.g. a Contest action that you're planning 'later' in the turn.

E
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

• Sovereign
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
Thats how I perceive it as well.

Deals about free passage/access etc done during Diplomacy action however will as I understand it, take place at once
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
Deals about free passage/access etc done during Diplomacy action however will as I understand it, take place at once

That could be a risky plan. You've marched your army halfway through a less than friendly realm, just to realise your diplomatic efforts are scuppered.

• Sovereign
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 08:35:12 PM »
Even I think we mean the same.

I meant more like getting access on a character level - as discovering you are not welcome in Ilien only after you arrival.

All treaty stuff is to take place in end of season and may or may not succeed. So free passage for army and the like better be arranged in advance.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:37:14 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
I was indeed wondering about subsequent actions - but also about bless land spells which only last a certain number of months and so can change the DC of actions depending on which month the action is taken in, last seasons bless lands will impact month 1, maybe month 2, but Robhan's not high enough level to hope for month 3...

On diplomacy, if I have to do half a dozen diplomacy actions to get to the city then I'm already waay to late to start, and frankly given the benefit of the S&C is to take 1-2 diplomacy actions (if I even take any) for the cost of 1 action at home would have to be dragged to the dratted thing.  Sadly as a priest regent I kindof have to go to the big festivals, at least the conclave forum may heat up as we all get to try out our embassies (or complain that the roof isn't finished as the case may be) and generally grumble and whine at each other.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 10:29:33 PM »
I was indeed wondering about subsequent actions - but also about bless land spells which only last a certain number of months and so can change the DC of actions depending on which month the action is taken in, last seasons bless lands will impact month 1, maybe month 2, but Robhan's not high enough level to hope for month 3...

For Realm Spells the duration applicable to the PBeM is the one stated outside the brackets. For Bless Land this is '1 Domain Turn', which equates to the fully following the turn in which is wast cast. This is the only way to reasonably keep track of durations of spells in the game. If you use the RoE rules in a tabletop game with a few people, the more 'detailed' duration listed in the brackets could easily be applied.

On diplomacy, if I have to do half a dozen diplomacy actions to get to the city then I'm already waay to late to start, and frankly given the benefit of the S&C is to take 1-2 diplomacy actions (if I even take any) for the cost of 1 action at home would have to be dragged to the dratted thing.  Sadly as a priest regent I kindof have to go to the big festivals, at least the conclave forum may heat up as we all get to try out our embassies (or complain that the roof isn't finished as the case may be) and generally grumble and whine at each other.

I would generally not worry about getting to and from the S&C. That is of course if you're not in some far away realm explicitly blockaded by enemy forces, or generally just surrounded by enemies who's got a standing order on your head. In RoE, as in hinted in the original source material, there is generally an understanding amongst the nobility that the S&C period is one of an uneasy truce. If you're fighting against the 'New Boer', you might want to consider it a different matter.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »

I'll repeat what I said before "We don't bother with what actual segment of a season actions happen in." I.e. you don't have to bother with it either.

And you can generally consider the travel action to be included in most regent or adventure actions. Which means it costs you 1 diplomacy action to participate in the S&C. Nothing more.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
And traveling to the IC should be safe for all, unless someone uses effort to prevent you reaching the city :)
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »
Thanks, I'd missed the comment on action order - which I guess is only important if doing sequential actions or opposing someone else to swipe the last rule slot or something.
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
There is no 'sequential' actions in RoE; in case of a conflict (such as two regents ruling the same holding slot) the highest MoS wins.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:49 AM »
I thought that if, say, in action 1 I did 'create holding' in action 2 I could try 'rule holding' - obviously I'd waste action 2 if action 1 failed, but thought that had been an example somewhere.

Not to worry, keeps it simple.  Makes my turn 2 easier anyway...
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »

I thought that if, say, in action 1 I did 'create holding' in action 2 I could try 'rule holding' - obviously I'd waste action 2 if action 1 failed, but thought that had been an example somewhere.

Not to worry, keeps it simple.  Makes my turn 2 easier anyway...

OoC:

It is possible to ready an action.

Regent Guide quote:

"If the condition for which you have readied your action never occurs, the action is wasted, although you do not have to pay any GB/RP associated with the action."

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »

Good point. It is possible to perform actions within a turn that are dependent on each other, and as Brandon pointed out one does not have to spend the resources on the second action if the first fails. The main issue is that there is no initiative so there is no trying to put in actions as an 'early' action in the DO to try get it done before another regent.

There are other examples as well, e.g. an Espionage action taken to support some dastardly plan during a war. This could then happen at the 'time' you hoped for within the war rounds.