Author Topic: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial  (Read 39589 times)

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
"I will gladly use knowledges of mine for reaching the Valley of Mist"

OOC: I agree with Kasper's and Libor's requests

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 06:45:05 PM »
The Governor will attempt to ensure that the Pontiff and if necessary the Priestess focus on keeping Faieme alive before making a head count.  He points out that his ability to tend and heal wounds is about on par with his ability to interact with mystical artifacts and "We all saw how well that went last time."

Once Faieme is tended to (whether she lives or not) the Governor discusses the situation with the other regents away from the men.

"Moving out now is not a good idea.  We should make camp here for a few hours at least before we decide what to do next. 

I will send what scouts I have around to make sure there are no enemies near but we need to let the injured rest for a time and take stock of our supplies.  I'm not sure if we even have enough food or water to reach the Valley of Mists - and I'm not sure I trust what can be found around here

Sarae can you see through the Obelisk to the other side without... uh... 'opening' it again so to speak?  I would like to see if we can observe our enemies without them seeing us if possible.

Shauna - you are the only one who knows an actual way out of here.  I need you to write down directions for the rest of us yourself in case we get separated.  I'd like to be prepared for the worst...."

The Governor looks around for a moment and finishes his though, "...if things actually can get any worse."
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
"You can see Governor, that we have no supplies and very little water. It was all with our baggage and now gnolls have it. That is another reason to set out as soon as possible. We will have to at least get to water. I don't object against few hours rest but we can hardly expect all injured to recover sufficiently in such a short time. All what I, Pontiff and Sarae could do is done already. Others will have to wait. No one have died from their wounds, but we have some people like Faieme that won't move without help. Anyway, we have to go. I suggest you send your people forth to search for water and once they find it, we move there."

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 03:31:36 AM »
"Beg your pardon Priestess, but it might take some time to find food or water and we should prepare for that possibility. "

The Governor surveys the region briefly before continuing,

"Like it or not, we are stuck here for a least a day or so since we don’t have enough supplies to simply guess the best direction to head.   We have very little food or water now, but a man traveling through the wilderness uses far more than one at rest, even without the sun beating down on them.  The men shouldn’t be made to march unless we are certain they are marching towards more supplies."

"Which, of course, raises another problem.  The enemy knows where we came through, and therefore where we are now.  I wouldn’t assume that they have no way to follow us – and they clearly have been trying to use the Obelisk themselves for some time.  If Sarae cannot make any further use of the Obelisk it may be wise to move a short distance from it and fortify our position in case of attack while we wait for the scouts to return."

"As for the Valley – if it is as Shauna says – impossible to reach, perhaps we should consider another alternative.  Where else might we find a place to cross over?"

Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
A head count reveals that a surprising number of Anuireans have survived; probably thanks to their toughness and discipline. When the gnolls attacked, these men did not panic, but gathered togetehr and formed defensive lines. Gnolls are mean lean killing machines, but when faced with heavily armored and disciplined formations neither their archers nor individual ferocity count for much. The Obsidian shards killed quite a few and injured many more, but by and large you've  not done too badly...and Lady Faieme is the only person of importance to be badly injured/dead (Btw: Maire is renowned for her healing powers - she even reattached Duke Hiriele's arm if the bards are to be believed).

OOC: The above text might as well have been added by one of the players; it doesn't really change anything. If the DM REALL wants to kill all the nameless guardsmen, he can devise a thousand ways to do so - later.

The Governor is right; the loss of supplies is your biggest concern. You have a large party of men and all the animals and supplies were lost to the gnolls. Now, the Shadow World doesn't look too hostile in this area, more like a shadowy version of the Daylight forest. Captain Oeberon and his men scout about a bit, and return with directions to a small stream that turns out to hold pure, drinkable water. He's also fairly confident that he and his men can find some game and edible plants/fruits/whatever.

OOC: One of you could also have written this; The Governor pointed out an obstacle (very good!) but one of the other players could easily have come up with this solution. If I had wanted, I could have limited the amount of water found, made it poisonous, or simply ensured that you lost it later or whatever...
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
Shauna:

I am at a loss as what to do...as I understand it Thenial is Shadow-warded, so there will be no escape for us here. We must walk a long distance....and since the Starspires is an obstacle we cannot overcome, we must head into the deep spirit-lands of Mieres...which is not a good thing. There are things there that would dearly like to feast on our souls or enslave us to their will...even I, the servant of Mhistecai, cannot go there without fear of attack...the rest of you...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
Having rested for a bit and done the head count as well as resource assessment the decision as what to do is at hand.

Wallac Isilviere:
Two options are at hand. Either regroup and charge the Gnolls hoping to overwhelm them momentarily and flee towards Serien should we be successful; Most should expect to perish in such an attempt but a few of us might get through and warn the people of Mieres.

The other option is a pointed out already to try traveling through the Shadow World. High Priestess Maire Cwyllmie made up a plan and I suggest we follow it. Thenial being Shadow-warded we have to go around the Starspire Mountains. That mean going through the outer perimeter of the deep spirit-lands of Mieres but I can see no real alternative.

Let’s gather what resources we can - especially water since we know not if we can find any reliable source anytime soon.

The party set out as described by ETN; Sarae Somellin and Shauna Nolan know the way and can guide us. I will take overall command and the brave Governor can organize a vanguard and shield us from nasty surprises like the Gnolls venturing the Shadow World.

If rumors speak the truth the travel through Dhalier will be the most dangerous part of our travel and since Thenail borders Dhalier we should be there within a few days. Of special importance to avoid is the ruin of an ancient castle located near the border between Thenial and Dhalier. The soldiers patrolling Dhalier avoid the area at all cost and so should we.

Perhaps the Governor knows more about this ruin?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:32:10 AM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »
The Sidhe Eldritch Knight, Lachlan, that follows the Pontiff is particularly vulnerable to the Shadow World as all Sidhe are and is asked to stay close to Wallac all the time to increase his chances of survival.
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
The observant see a slight tightening of the Governor's jaw as the Pontiff begins to take command and give orders but it passes just as quickly as it came on

The Governor shakes his head,

"I know little of Dhalier, save that it is sparsely populated.  The ruins of which you speak were designed to spot and prevent invasion from the South but were abandoned long ago.  Here, in this place, I do not know - but if they are manned by some manner of creatures we will have to step very carefully to avoid them. 

As I understand it, they were designed to spot invaders - which is what we are.  Is there any magic that would shield us from watchful eyes of sentries as we pass near?  It may not be possible to avoid being spotted otherwise.  On that matter, Captain Oeberon and his men are good scouts, so clearly the Gnolls on the other side were shielded as such.

As good as he is neither Oeberon or his men will be able to see an enemy concealed with magic - only signs of their passing, if they have left any.  Is there any aid that can be given here?"

The Governor moves to organize the men.  It is suggested to Captain Oeberon that the scouts be leapfrogged head so that there are always two groups of scouts ahead of the men.

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 02:44:39 PM »
Sarae Somellin watches all of her companions and says

"Our travel will be very hard and difficult here in Shadow World but we can make it. My able servants, Green-Eyes and Welton, can join the scouting group of Captain Oeberon, since they're able to move silently and to pass without lefting traces. Maire, Wallac and I have access to clerical spells and we may able to create food and water to help to boast our supplies. Shauna and I know something about Shadow World. and the Governor is expert in leading men and has trustfully men expert in warfare situations. Things arent so desperate."   

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
Sarae looks at the governor " a Detect magic spell can reveal the caster if beings are magically concealed to our view"

• Sovereign
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
"If I remember correctly from the last time I entered the Shadow World the nature of the Shadow World resists divination in general - illusions and spells that fool are enhanced. Whats worse divinations are more limited than usual.

So while detect evil hold some merits we may be better off trying to fool the eyes spying us."

Wallac ponder the issue for a while and turn to the sidhe

"Perhaps you have a spell that can mask our presence - bear in mind that enchantments seems to have an increased power in this world"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
The sidhe (whatever his name is):

"I know something of the spirits Shauna-human is referring to...some of them are very dangerous, but most are just...malicious, but not ones that could caused armed party much harm. The real problem is that if one of them spot us and alert the others...then one of the dangerous ones will come and you will all die, which would be unfortunate.

The closer we stay to the coast the better it is...though we still need to find a place where we can cross over.  Any ideas?"
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
The Governor looks down for a moment and seems to be think for a moment,

"This may sound strange - but what if we could take the Obelisk with us - could we use it to open a doorway somewhere else."

• Sovereign
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Governor I cannot see how we could hope to carry the Obelisk along with us? It is huge and made of Obsidian.

Its a hundred feet tall and seems to have a good part burried in the dirt as well. How could the few of us hope to bring it along? Please if you have an idea speak up for such a feat would indeed be wonderfull and deny the Gnolls the controll of the Obelisk.