Author Topic: OOC versus IC issue  (Read 4541 times)

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
OOC versus IC issue
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »
Hey guys,

Allow me to take a break from my trivial article-writing, to address something that's close to the heart: OOC versus IC talks.

Now while I don't mind everyone OOC planning their adventure/diplomacy/whatnot with each other, please don't substitute it for IC talks. This is as much a game of intrigue and court maneuvering, and it *really* hampers certain arch-types, characters and realms, if you talk out of character all the time and try to force others to do the same.

I know that there's always the fear of being misunderstood IC, or the need to know that you are "safe", but that's just the point - it's part of the game to allow for misunderstandings and live with the hint of paranoia that the treaty you just signed will come back and bite you in the ass. If you worry about it (ie. your character worries about it), deal with it IC... don't poke the player ooc and ask him if he "really means it?". In the worst case you could force a player into a morale dilemma where he has to decide, whether to lie to you out of character (which I doubt anyone wants to or will do) or come out in the open and confess that he is indeed trying to pull wool over your head and trick. And if he doesn't want to do that, he suddenly finds himself compelled to actually go through with something his character might not have.

This is especially the case with diplomacy and treaty-discussions, where one part will often try to sidle a few concessions or benefits into the mix, without the other side discovering it (the NPC's will be doing it ALL the time, I can assure you that). That becomes much harder ooc, because it will then be the player who tries to trick another player, instead of leaving it to the characters to sort out.

The reason I advocate so strongly against it, is that I have seen some unsavory types use exactly these means to "bully" other people into doing stuff that they normally wouldn't have in other games. I'm not saying that anyone here is doing that - I don't believe that to be the case. I'm just saying that it *has* happened before: we are generally nice people, and want to get along ooc, even if our characters hate each others guts. That means that what you agree with each other ooc - "player to player" will have a completely different measure of trust, than what is agreed to IC. And if that trust is broken, it's not your character that was lied to - it's you.

I know this is something that has been discussed before (and I wrote much the same last time), but I'll be damned if I can find the post.
OOC is all well and good when all parties agree to it, or if you are really pressed for time - but don't force OOC talk on those that don't want it. And please do not substitute it for In Character conversations. Pretty please. With a cherry on the top.

- Thorsten

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:41:08 PM by DM Jon »

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
Re: OOC versus IC issue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
I also concur. Care and attention is needed to ensure that the conversation and negotiations so vital to this game remain IC not OC or the roleplay evaporates from the game.

*signed*
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
I find that doing stuff IC and then optionally add an OoC text to clarrify stuff works just fine for me though I concur OoC should not be forced upon those that prefer to stick to just IC.

Since Thorsten eddited his above post a month or so after I agreed I will just say my agreeing was to the original issue. Therefore take my consent in the light version.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:54:28 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
I find that doing stuff IC and then optionally add an OoC text to clarrify stuff works just fine for me though I concur OoC should not be forced upon those that prefer to stick to just IC.

Yes. Thank you.  :)
That is probably what I would call "correct" use of OOC in conjunction with IC - by having an IC interaction with someone, and then at the end put in some small ooc clarification. It also allow others to "ignore" the OOC part, and stay completely IC themselves if they opt for it.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
I think this deserves a sticky because it's central to the game  :)

And let's not forget that while Thorsten is quite correct, it is Thorsten's problem that he's such a nice man who only backstabs his friends in Facebook games. The rest of us know that the OoC attempt to lure every secret out of your opponent is essential to any good IC strategy. Because once you know it, it's hard not to act on it - somehow  :P

It's still BAD and WRONG and NAUGHTY! And Bjørn will use sarcasm if he sees you doing it. You have been warned  ;)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
I was about to start a new thread concerning the new chat/shoutbox, but realized that my above post covers it pretty well. Especially the last part:

OOC is all well and good when all parties agree to it, or if you are really pressed for time - but don't force OOC talk on those that don't want it. And please do not substitute it for In Character conversations. Pretty please. With a cherry on the top.

When I go to this site, I have no option to *not* see the shoutbox (well unless I close it, which just leaves me in the cold for everything else happening in it, something I don't really understand why I should be forced to do).
I have nothing against chatting just for the heck of it - random stuff being shared with people I spend a lot of time with in any case. But anything that is directed towards ingame stuff should be approached with care... especially when talks are in regards to another player's realm. As I see it, we need to keep the clarifications and questions about ingame-stuff for emails or posts I can actually *choose* to avoid if I want to.

Thanks,
Thorsten

• Sovereign
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
Thorsten what about such links as this: http://goregirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/still-from-bad-taste-11.jpg - will that and similar ones be within the bounderies of what you find enjoyable in public chat room?

What if someone adds a silly OoC comment along my latest holliday pictures. Here I am in Osoerde, and oh this one in particular is cool. Here the Grey Duke have a snack on IHH's Lieutenant the late Archbishop of Roesone, Saraen Bellamie
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:24:28 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »
That's pretty random, and (hopefully) not connected to any ingame-stuff. That's more or less what I believed the chat would be used for originally.

• Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
It is yet to happen though I meant it in a context where I imagined to be joking with some IC stuff that had taken place be it for my own domain or another players

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »
Yes, and I personally have no issue with that. As I understand it, the chat was created to avoid random chatter in threads, by moving them to a chatbox - just make sure that anyone involved is cool with any quips directed their way.