Author Topic: Experience points and levels  (Read 1885 times)

Offline X-Hermedhie (Ronny)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 2
Experience points and levels
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
We don't refrain from violence, we're out to gain experience!
-Norwegian LARP song-

Is there any tracking of experience points gained for the characters?
I personally would like to get an experience point value/adventure, and I seem to recall the original BR rules has some experience awards from Domain actions too?

When I play RPGs, even strategic ones, I like to advance my character. So maybe an idea would be to let the players keep track of experience gained themselves and award XP on each DO-return?
Just a thought ;)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: Experience points and levels
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
I believe that Bjørn is keeping track of the experience for our Regents. I do not think he is keeping track of exp for any of the AA's and lieutenants...

As to what our characters are awarded xp for, I have no clue. Presumerably you got the most for going on adventure actions, perhaps you also gain something from ruling you realm. I'd hazard a guess that you also gain something from completing adventures.

Other than that, the exp rules are very much "black-box style" - we know we have them, we know something is happening with them, but we do not know how or what :)

Personally I agree with you that keeping track of exp for our characters would be fun, though not worth the hassle for other characters than your regent and possibly a lieutenant or two. An idea of what sort of things gives experience might also encourage us to seek those things out, so it could be used as a tool to encourage or reward certain kinds of behavior... which is how exp usually works. The default behaviors being overcoming challenges, killing monsters, "acting out" your character and so on.

I dunno though, I think the complexity level is high enough. I'd definitely be up for trying a more codified exp system.

Watch out though, in a moment someone might come by and shout "AA and regents are not that important! The domain is your character!" ;)
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »
You will never be given the opportunity to track XP gain. That is solely the province of the DM.

Nor will you be given detailed rules regarding what you XP for. Just assume that character development and dangerous adventures net you the most, but that other activities give you SOME XP (with training granting the most).

And for the record; RoE II supposes slooow character advancement, especially as you reach high level (7+).

AAs gain levels on an ad-hoc basis.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Hermedhie (Ronny)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
Aaah right.

Good to know there is some tracking of XP going on out there though ;)