Author Topic: Fortifications  (Read 7600 times)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Fortifications
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
So even if my forftifications go to reserve this DO it still cost me as if they are on Garrison this season?

If above is correct I would like to change my DO and simply stop paying for those fortifications for good. I assumed I could start them on reserve first DO and was corrected to pay for garrison. I have allready overspent my fortification  budget; I need to cut the saleries for those fat garrisons  ;D
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
Ah, I overlooked the difference between reserve and G/A. Never used reserve m'self, never saw the point (i.e. always had enough money).

It would be nice if it was possible to keep everything within one DO and not have to keep tabs on minor matters like these between DO's.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
So even if my forftifications go to reserve this DO it still cost me as if they are on Garrison this season?

If above is correct I would like to change my DO and simply stop paying for those fortifications for good. I assumed I could start them on reserve first DO and was corrected to pay for garrison. I have allready overspent my fortification  budget; I need to cut the saleries for those fat garrisons  ;D

Do note that fortified holdings protect you against contest and invasion. To get rid of your forts completely won't be popular within the IHH ranks. At least not the proud military cadre - others might think it about bloody time.
 Maybe reduce your expenses elsewhere? Forts don't cost that much...

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Change between active/garrison is immediate (same turn, the change conceptually takes a little time, 1 month or so); you enter the Change Status action into your DO, alter the status in the army list at the same time, and start paying the new upkeep during that same turn. This should not be problematic.

Change to/from reserve takes a little longer (1 full turn, 3 months). Enter this into your DO, but don't change the status in the army list (the new status in effect at the end of the turn/start of the new turn), and thus no change in upkeep. The unit will be available for action on the following turn (either garrison or active, as you specified). That's how the rule is written and that's what the examples illustrate.

HOWEVER, with regards to the to/from reserve stuff; it might perhaps be easier to change that rule, so that you actually do change status on the turn you take the action (unit still won't be able to do anything) and thus change upkeep. The net result would be the same, but you'd save the money on the turn a unit goes into reserve and spend more on the turn its recalled to service.

Perhaps that option is both easier to track AND more conceptually sound? Any input?

I would like to see it changed... It would become a way to immediately cut some costs, instead of a strategic decision.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
Effective immediately:

Rules change - Going to/from reserve you immediately (same turn) start paying upkeep for the new status (so basically you pay less on the turn they go INTO reserve, and more when they go out of reserve).

I also believe this will be easier to track in the DOs.

RG will be updated.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »
Effective immediately:

Rules change - Going to/from reserve you immediately (same turn) start paying upkeep for the new status (so basically you pay less on the turn they go INTO reserve, and more when they go out of reserve).

I also believe this will be easier to track in the DOs.

RG will be updated.

Wonderful  :)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
I aim to please :)
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
Just to be clear, units/forts still take time to actually get out of reserve, only the upkeep change is instantaneous under this rule change?
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
Just to be clear, units/forts still take time to actually get out of reserve, only the upkeep change is instantaneous under this rule change?

Yes; time use is not altered - it stays at 1 turn.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting....

E2A
Apologies for the rubbish post but got distracted by bug fixes on a website I was doing at the same time. Will post my more meaningful and cogent thoughts tonight.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:52:05 PM by Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt) »
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting....

Perhaps THE least interesting post so far?
DM Bjørn

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
Do note that fortified holdings protect you against contest and invasion. To get rid of your forts completely won't be popular within the IHH ranks. At least not the proud military cadre - others might think it about bloody time.
 Maybe reduce your expenses elsewhere? Forts don't cost that much...

I'm not sure if you're correct there Jon. I think fortifications only protect against physical attack (for instance pillage/raze actions done by military units), and not against contest actions. From the regent guide:

"Fortified holdings make a single holding resistant to attack and destruction. They also protect the entire province to a lesser degree; a fort mainly protects the province level and the holding to which it is attached.
Trade and source holdings cannot be fortified, nor do they gain any benefit from having other fortified holdings in the same province."
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »
Right you are