Author Topic: Festival in Tornilen - Turn #66  (Read 2753 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Festival in Tornilen - Turn #66
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:26:17 AM »
This summer there is held a grand festival in the province of Tornilen. All of the city below Caer Tornilen is lit up by lights and festivities in nighttime. In the daytime there are markets and plays, as well as jousting and other contests of skill and strength.

The festival lasts for two weeks after the Night of Fire. Three days after the Night of Fire, a grand ceremony is held in Militant Order's Temple, where Baron Arvour and Duchess Marya reiterate their vows and the terms of their marriage, as well as performing a ritual of recognition - giving the Baron holdings within Tornilen itself.

The halls of Caer Tornilen are constantly filled with guests and minor nobles, the Duchess and Baron attend both parties there and within the city itself. A grand time is had by most.

(OOC: This thread, similar to the one Elinie made, is for describing things that take place within Tornilen during the festival. Everyone is welcome to post here, if they wish to participate. It will just be descriptions and roleplay - nothing with direct game effects.)
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: Festival in Tornilen - Turn #66
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »
Tornilen has, for many reasons, always had a strong tradition for puppet theaters. The authorities of Tornilen have traditionally been rather heavy handed, though these days discipline is not quite as heavy handed as during the days of King Gavin Tael. The puppet theaters are a form of expression where almost anything is allowed, even criticism against the rulers and enforcers of Tornilen.

One puppet theater takes place at a market held a week after the Night of Fire, a puppet theater in which Duchess Marya, or the Swordmage, is shown in a less than flattering light...

First the Swordmage is shown as a rather sad and pretentious figure, going to enormeous lengths to appear threatening and omnious, always with rather sad results. A scene is shown where the Swordmage is constantly bumping into things - furniture and such - in her tower, as she insists on keeping the light dim to "set the mood".
I another she debates complains at length how difficult and hard is to wear the cloak of swords, as she keeps cutting herself and accidently killing henchmen.

Later she makes the great decision to join in the battle to save all of Anuire, joining with lords of heroes when they storm the pyramid and defeat the dark one. She does not really do anything, except trying to make herself look important and philosophize on whether she appears omnious and "darkly awesome" enough. It culminates after the Prelate's victorious announcement at the top of the pyramid, she steals something behind his back, loudly shouting "yoink!" and then proceeds to stumble down the steps of the pyramid, dropping whatever it was she stole.

Later she is dismayed when she finally reveals herself as a female, but gets very disappointed when no one really cares... and even more angry when Archduke William Osoerde remarks that she always seemed a little girly...

Then there is her redemption, sponsored by the Prelate of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn, in which she cannot make up her mind. Behind the back of the prelate, who is speaking to the conclave on her behalf, she keeps changing her mind... "Eat babies for the dark one, be light and merry, bathe in my enemies blood, or... wait, cuiraecen also lets me do that, can I wear my cloak of swords as now or is it too much DARK GODS OF DOOM..." and so on. Eventually the prelate finishes, looks at her and sternly tells her that she will either repent, or be beheaded as a witch. Then she meekly goes along, is redeemed and proceeds to secretly go on a rampage, just to show that she has not "lost her touch."

Finally there is the duel against the Green Knight and the Baron's proposal. He is shown as being rather drunk at the time, and was not as much proposing to her as suggesting they rub nasties. She is quick on the uptake though, grabbing him and dragging him to the Temple of Cuiraecen before he has a chance to protest, hurriedly getting them married before he can do anything. Afterwards he is hung over and sad, going "alright, I guess you're right, there is no I Take It Back in marriage. At least you've got a nice ass.".

After the performance there is much laughter and applause. No one really pays much attention to the unasuming figure in a cloak, in the hood of which strands of dark hair and glittering blue eyes can be seen. The glamour enforcing her disguise makes sure no one can recognize her, unless they possess magic, divine blood or great strength of will. She applauds like everyone else, even leaving a sizeable donation to the puppeteer. She gives him a shock though, when she drops the glamour while giving him a gold coin, letting him gaze into the hood unhindered by illusions. She simply smiles, rather like a shark, then melting back into the crowd. The next few days and nights he is constantly drunk, fearing for his life, but nothing happens.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:58:02 AM by Tornilen/SM (Alexander) »
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »
"What a novel play Khalid." Said the woman, smiling crookedly.

"Indeed dear Sorcha, I am amazed that they are allowed to do display such... critique" Said Khalid.

Sorcha, turning to face Khalid, an eyebrow arched in mockery "You do not see the puppet theater is a cunning device of control?"

"Ah, of course." Khalid chuckles, "I am afraid the wine has mulled my senses, of course, by allowing the puppets free rein, the populace is given both outlet and entertainment, and the ruler gets a direct indication of issues that may be worrying the people."

"Perhaps we should suggest the Patriarch be more aware of these things?" Sorcha suggests, musingly.

Khalid replies with a slight slur. "I am not certain puppets will be to his amusement. He seems to be quite satisfied to do whatever suits him."

"Khalid!" Sorcha exclaims admonishingly, Khalid raising his hands in mock defense. "It'll end poorly if he does not listen to his vassals more. Is all I am saying. Besides, its just us here, who could possibly be listening?"
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
An extract from a letter, written by one Milicent Fusil, that sadly went astray before ever reaching her husband.

"... and I have been told it was with a bow and a flourish to the Duchess and the Baron that the Duke of Ghieste presented himself and his small party. Various polite pleasantries were spoken including significant praises to the radiance of the Lady and similar on the vigour and virility shown by her husband. There were also several exchanges that seemed to evoke some laughter between them but those were not said with enough volume that the whole room could here.

It was however the gifts that caused the most conversation - instead of jewels or pieces of art it seems that the "Good Duke" decided to tell of a story, much to some of the courts bemusement, some tale about a vale within Ghieste, in Rhumannen they say, that is known to the locals of that place as the Valley of Storms and that in that place a knight called Siliens Corwent heard the calling of Cuiraécen and that it is a holy place to the Stormlord. At the end of the telling of this legend the Duke presented the gifts he had brought with him to accompany the myth, two oak saplings apparently from a lightning cleaved oak themselves. To those foolish enough to devote themselves to the Stormlord it is considered special it seems.

I still do not understand those 'Thunder Breeches' and their strange ways."
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!