Author Topic: Adventure #67 - To reach the other side (the Bonds...continuation)  (Read 40693 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Adventure #67 - To reach the other side (the Bonds...continuation)
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
OOC: I'm going to make a leap to a conclusion, before we leave, if thats not ok, I'll edit.

"Marshal Balter, if you have absorbed the curse, then perhaps this prison will forbid you from leaving."

"I do not know how the curse will manifest in your outlook. Manethander was an evil man, with a terrible agenda already before he got tainted."

"Your heart could not be further from his. And you have a full life of experiences and reinforcements of good and righteous to draw strength from."

"I will not barricade the tomb. I will go home and describe what took place here, and ensure that knowledge is passed to my heirs for as long as you remain."

"I will find a way to send you updates on the world outside, and to help keep you winning the battle with the inner darkness I suspect you are about to face."

"Of course, your brethren of Haelyn's Aegis will receive access as well."

"Your sacrifice will never be forgotten."

Rashid looks to his companions, "Nor will I ever forget you who are here in this room with me, nor the ones fallen before we got here. I give thanks from the bottom of my heart. If you call, I will answer this service in kind."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »
Gaerred quietly speaks.

"I am afraid, Patriarch," he says.

"The way must be barred again to the Tomb of the Gray Duke and to the Shadow World as well," he says.

"While I have faith in Marshal Balter, time has a way of bringing all things to pass, both triumphs and follies.  In time, lessons learned are forgotten and all virtues are reasoned away," he continues.

"This duty, you bear, is not yours to bear - it is of Elinien making and it should be our crux to bear. In 30 years, I will return to bear it for you and to send you on your way to the gods," he says.

"And after me, another shall that no one who bears the curse must do for eternity."

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »
"No man, who sacrificed so much for so many undeserving, should be denied heaven," Gaerred continues.

"It is a burden to be carried as its guardian, and then to be passed to a new guardian, until such a time as it can be undone."

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
"Perhaps making some sort of order charged with such a task would be the prudent thing to do? Or what do Your Grace think?"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »

IC:

Elamien rises to her feet and approaches the sidhe.  "Hold still, whilst I bandage that arm", says she.

Later, she walks to the place, where her rapier lies; picks it up; wipes it off; and slides it into a thin, dark, scabbard.  Then, she walks over to the Baron of South Hold, the other blade still in her hand, and asks, "How did a nob—"

She pauses, then starts anew, "How did a noble like you get hold of this?"

Tristan grins crookedly at the half-spoken thought.  His clothes have been shredded, revealing the pink weals of burns still present on his body - especially his hands, previously gloved in softest leather, now shown to have been seared with some terrible heat.  Covered in blood, cuts, smoke, and sweat, the expression is a frightful sight.  "How many places do the heirloom blades of a House usually come from, Elamien?  Handed down through the years."  He coughs - his voice is gravelly, torn.  "This one is... not to be fully wielded without great necessity.  For obvious reasons.  Against the wrong foe, it is as much a danger to the wielder as the foe."  Now his voice turns dry.  "And I begin to suspect it may be cursed - since I awoke it, I've yet to wield it through a full battle without it being taken from my hands.  But perhaps that is simply its wielder's incompetence."  He takes the weapon back, sheathing it with careful, jerky movements.  "With Manethander dead, the need is gone, I suppose.  To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely certain how to render it a more normal blade again.  I'll be spending some time in the histories again, no doubt."  The clever, light facade is back in place - as a fellow professional, she has to admire the speed of its recovery.  Only his eyes show the aftereffects of his rage and, now, utter exhaustion as he looks back to her.  "And you - are you well, after...  all this?"

IC:

By way of reply, Elamien only shrugs her shoulders, although the expression on her face seems to betray a considerable amount of internal pain.

IC:

Meanwhile, Elamien, whether Tristan answers her or not, hands him the sword, with the hint of a smile, and thereafter addresses all of her companions, in a plain voice:  "There is no thing of especial value in the adjacent rooms, although I imagine that a petty thief would find some articles of interest.  So, let us depart.  This place still has the feel of evil or of shadow; and I like it not."

And she begins to exit the room, limping slightly and glancing over her shoulder at her husband, to whom she directs these several words:  "Please, walk with me.  I need your strength."

Speaking of the exit - where IS the exit?

IC:

Finding no exit, where she thought to find one, Elamien stops, shaking her head.  "The Shadow World is ever a frustrating place", she comments.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »
"Elamien! You are in pain! - Please, can someone heal my wife?" Rashid seems way more concerned than the immediate injury would seem to warrant.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »

IC:

Elamien smiles warmly at her husband's apparent concern.

Then, turning her attention to the Pontiff and the High Hierophant, says she, "Although I am not so versed in religion as your reverend selves and frankly have no idea of the ultra-fine distinctions, which may be drawn between murder and euthanasia in the very Book of Law, which I see before me, I none the less find myself rather shocked to hear the suggestion, that, every so many years, a man ought to cross the Veil, entre this tomb of shadow, and slay its occupant.  And I am not even referring to shock over the moral implications:  rather, I am shocked at the imprudence, which seems inherent in the idea.  This place ought rather to be sealed; and, if I had dealt the killing blow,—which, in the end, I was more than ready to do,—I would not tolerate any suggestion to the contrary, howsoever based in the sympathetic pity of most pious priests. . . .

"Although especially difficult to utter, in the presence of Marshal Edwin,—who, in my opinion, is a veritable hero,—no individual ought ever to lay eyes upon his face again.  For we must face fact:  melancholy is the sensible end of our adventure."

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2010, 12:05:25 AM »
Balter stops he walk and peers at the wall where once the door stood. "Ah, I feel it now, this tomb is mine and shall not let me leave.  A pity, I should have liked to see sunlight one last time after touching such evil, but the burden was taken willingly, and none better than me of all of us to bear it for you all have much living to do."

He turns to Gaerred, "nor should such living be done in the shadow of doom - even if such a line of martyr's would not inevitably yield a rogue given mortal frailty, to leave the tomb open for entrance would inevitably beg another of lower morals to enter.  Not to mention the cost to those left behind as the Martyrs left the waking world.  I do not recall whether your order permits marriage foolish and greedy though such a ban ever is, but to leave children would be crime - even if leaving nephews and nieces not sons and daughters for Robhan speaks of you and your brothers as though you were his own and such bonds cannot be forsaken."

"I have faith in Him and our Lady Mercy and a thousand bright memories in which to dwell.  I will not be alone for all that you have gone for they shall rest beside me always.   Lord Patriarch, recover whatever you wish from these halls for I read no Khinasi and Laerme's treasures should always be shared.  Then seal the tomb and hide all record of its existence as was done before, that none of foul heart may learn of it once memories fade - should your children have need of its location then the gods will reveal the truth to them as they did to us."

He walks to the Pontiff and clasps his shoulders.  "You have love for Him, and hate for His foes, such is right and necessary.  But know the wisdom that came to me only with age.  No mortal can understand everything of anything - such perfect understanding is given to the gods alone.  Never consider someone opposed to you or wrong simply because they disagree, or distrust you for they cannot have perfect understanding either - even after you have taught them all you can they will remain mortal and thus imperfect.  Think also of this, regardless of mortal resolution He will set all right in Heaven - it is not given to mortal men be they nobles, priests, or even those so high as you to right all wrongs."

Edwin takes off his cloak and folds it around his signet ring and a badge before handing the tight bundle to the Pontiff.  "Please take those to Robhan, he will know what it means for I am dead to the living world now and it is time for another to guide Ghoere.  And wish him well for me, the Aegos will not hold me but I am Aegis nonetheless and will pray that he and Mhoried emerge from the trials ahead strong in faith and body.

He sighs, "and now you have friends waiting above that wish to learn if you are alive, or who perhaps yet need your aid.  It is time for you to return to the land of the living.  Farewell."

After they had gone Edwin sat silently, and slowly cleaned and resharpened his blade, hammered flat the rivets in his chain, and neatly laid out the remaining flasks of oil and holy water to his side.  Shadow ever sought Shadow, and whatever fell power not dwelt within him would neither corrupt him nor be taken from him by one seeking it.  He smiled, if the tomb was completely forgotten, then Manetheander's corruption would never again threaten the people of Cerilia.  If not, then evil would waste its energy seeking him out and, Haelyn willing, die on his blade never again to threaten the land.  As you will it my Lord, let it be.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Sovereign
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2010, 12:16:19 AM »
[OoC: Please consider to move this post. Changed my mind and would like to post my reply as a flashback in the new thread. Andys answer is simply too good for me to match and for all I care a nice ending to this thread.]

IC:

Leaving the crypt Wallac have a flashback. Oh he will remember the Marshal. Brother Edwin will forever hold a special place in his heart. In that special place and close to where he feels the presence of the All Father. A valuable reminder that for Wallac, that a follower of HAELYN is a brother in faith before anything else. Before considering if he belongs to one or another Haelyn temple. Faith in HAELYN they all share.

“Brother your wise words spoken as a true saint humble me and I will take them to my heart, carry them there and treasure them for the rest of my life. All though I find it hard to believe your wisdom come from high age alone I am sure it contributed to it as well. I praise HAELYN that I got the chance to meet you and see the high example you set for those who follow after. You touch my heart and words feel so poor and inadequate for my reply. Rest assured that I will attempt learn from them as best I can. “

“Let me assure you I personally see to bringing your cloak, signet ring and badge to Robhan and wish him well for you. If you don’t mind I’ll also tell Robhan of your deed and pure sacrifice.”

“ Perhaps you will honor me and pray together with us before we leave?”

Wallac accept the bundle of Edwin with a deep bow.

“Perhaps you will honor me and pray together before we leave for the land living, the land of daylight?”

In the end they all prayed together and afterwards Wallac had thought, nah had been convinced, they somehow where bound together by destiny harsh words exchanged or not, married or not. They all knew they had to keep the secret and not write it for others to read. To keep Anuire safe.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:55:39 AM by IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2010, 02:24:24 AM »
Gaerred nods at Marshal Balter and with and embrace of brotherly affection.

"Go in peace, fedayeen," he says.

Gaerred at the the body of the Grey Duke, now dead and naked.

"Patriarch, his body should be taken from here and burned before you people that they might know he is defeated and purged from the world - and give credence to his defeat and the need for this place to be forgotten,"
he says.

He kneels down next to the other dead vampire? to inspect his face and close his eyes.

"Patriarch, we should not leave him either, it seems wrong given the sacrifice made.  He deserves a funeral pyre, according to Avanlaen tenets," he says.

He conjures light and for a few moments wanders into the others looks, as if looking for something.  [OOC: Bjorn look for my PM]

After that he returns to the carrying a few books, but he seems eerily pensive as the group leaves, though partway back he speaks softly with Kalieman.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:16:08 AM by LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray) »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »
Looks like this one is over...time to move on.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
Gaerred nods at Marshal Balter and with and embrace of brotherly affection.

"Go in peace, fedayeen," he says.

Gaerred at the the body of the Grey Duke, now dead and naked.

"Patriarch, his body should be taken from here and burned before you people that they might know he is defeated and purged from the world - and give credence to his defeat and the need for this place to be forgotten,"
he says.

He kneels down next to the other dead vampire? to inspect his face and close his eyes.

"Patriarch, we should not leave him either, it seems wrong given the sacrifice made.  He deserves a funeral pyre, according to Avanlaen tenets," he says.

He conjures light and for a few moments wanders into the others looks, as if looking for something.  [OOC: Bjorn look for my PM]

After that he returns to the carrying a few books, but he seems eerily pensive as the group leaves, though partway back he speaks softly with Kalieman.

Rashid takes a moment to look at books too, and indeed, he expects to look at the ones picked out by Gaerred too.

In the end he selects a few that seem interesting or rare, for the Elinien library. Gaerred can keep what he selected, barring exceptional or troublesome books.

• Sovereign
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »
"Others more pressing matters is to be dealt with first but eventually I will have to decide if there is to be some sort of ceremony celebrating the return of the Book of Law or if its something the faithfulls will celebrate just in their hearts."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:24:50 AM by IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »
"I believe a formal ceremony, where those present here and representatives of our other allies today, are present to formally give the Book back to OIT will be both uplifting and good for the morale of all of Anuire."

"When I think of how diverse this flock is, it can be a powerful statement, that all scions of Anuire stand united against true darkness."