Author Topic: Sorcerers and realm magic  (Read 4425 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Sorcerers and realm magic
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:23:38 AM »
Still struggling with this one; just preparing slots IS an advantage, but I'm not entirely sure how BIG an advantage.

If we take a fairly typical 8th lvl sorcerer and compare him to a wizard of the same lvl:

The sorcerer has 5/3/2/1 spells know.
- for 4th lvl there is no advantage since its only 1 spell known
- 3rd lvl really isn't that flexible either
- for 1st + 2nd lvl there is an advantage in flexibility
- in addition the sorcerer CAn use a higher-lvl slot t cast a lower-lvl spell, so that's a slight (but costly) increase in flexibility

The wizard knows 5/4/4/4 spells; plus any he might have researched, so let's say 5/5/5/5 or something like that
- the wizard has a wider variety of high-level spells

Other stuff:
- both casters can cast a maximum of 4 spells/turn.
- the primary limit is still the RP needed to fuel the spells, and the GBs needed to prepare them in the first place
- with Prepare Realm Spell now a Realm action the wizard CAN delay preparation until he has a better idea what spells he needs (or combine a few stock low-lvl spells with a few open high-lvl slots that can be used to meet the situation at hand).
- in a PbeM it will be slightly tougher to the wizard to adapt, but that's a problem with the PbeM, not the realm spell rules. So maybe the DM will be a little more flexible when it comes to giving wizards feedback during conflicts + added flexibility with readying Prepare Realm Spell (not as a Realm action though, just as a regent action)

In conclusion (?):
- the sorcerer doesn't get to cast MORE spell, he is just more flexible (provided he's chosen his spells wisely).
- but for higher-lvl spells his is no more, even less, flexible since he has few available spells to choose from
- the real limit is still RP/GB/actions available

...so the sorcerer is certainly different, as well as much EASIER to play right, since you have fewer spells to pick from AND access to all of them when needed (which is pretty much how they play out in adventure settings too).

I think this doesn't make them overpowered and I'm inclined to let the rule stay as is.

Comments greatly appreciated...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:54:37 PM by DM Jon »
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Sorcerers and realm magic
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »
I think you hit it right on the mark.
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn