Author Topic: #69 A Diplomatic Voyage  (Read 2632 times)

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
#69 A Diplomatic Voyage
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
The ships master smiled as he exited his quarters and looked to the sky.  The prow of the Dark Wind cut swiftly through the waters of the straits as she sailed towards her destination.  It was good to be moving again at a decent speed, good for the ship and good for her crew.  Months spent patrolling with little action wasn’t exactly good for a crew.  Boredom isn’t exactly helpful when you’ve noplace to go.

Of course neither was the order that shore leave be denied while they waited for there charge to return.  ‘Have to do something about that’, the man thought to himself as he walked up to the second mate and nodded, “Galen.”  The burly man looked at the master and nodded, “Master Laetier.”  They both looked out over the sea for a moment before they spoke next.

“Anything to report,” asked the ships master,

Galen smiled slightly pulling out the spyglass, “Lets see,” he said looking one way, then the other, “hmmmm, noth’in...noth’in... oh look, more noth’in.”  The master continued to look on, unamused until the big man finally sighed, “We be past the tip of Serelien, head’en northerly, so we be making good time,”

“Anything else," the master questions. 

The big man chuckles slightly, “You be talking to the Quartermaster?”

“Is its something I need to be concerned with,” comes the question in reply.

"Nah.” The large man shakes his head, “A bit a' bitching and moaning.  At least that's the word from the Quartermaster.  Gods damned crybabies if ya ask me.  Barely saw a lick a fighting and their bawl’in cause they have to stay on board when we dock.  Boo. Hoo.  Not like they can't gamble and dice here while they are in port.” A slight smile grows on his face, “Likely they were hoping to find a whorehouse to waste their coin in.    To be true, I ain't sure Taeghan women are worth a wooden penny from my memory the last time I was out this way."

The Captain purses his lips.  "Well tell Mr. Kauren to keep it in order.  I won’t have these louts stepping out of line with me.  Still, I’ll talk about it with the Governors man, see if we can't do something about it.  They’ve been sitting around for months bored waiting for some action.  Can’t see why they can’t have at least some restricted shore leave for the men."
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
Re: #69 A Diplomatic Voyage
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:16:44 AM »
After a time inspecting his ship the master stops by the cabin where his passenger resides.  The man older, in his early forties sits finishing a meal.  The master makes a quick nod of apology and makes to leave but the older man waves him in putting down his cup, wipes his mouth clean and stands to face him.  "Master Laetier, you have a report on our progress then?  I will take it now if you will."

The master bows respectfully. "Of course m'Lord Seneschal.  Not much to report at this time.  The sea is quiet and we've the good fortune of a fair wind at our backs.  We've made excellent time and might arrive much earlier than expected.  It is a shame really, the Wind and her crew can handle just about any amount of bad weather, and some of the crew were hoping to show off a bit for m'Lord."

"Not necessary," the man says matter-of-factly.  "Much earlier...." the passenger begins to think, stroking his short beard, "Have your men slow us down then, we don't want to be early."

"Slow......down?" the master questions, blinking in surprise.

"Early shows eagerness," the passenger continues, thinking aloud, "A day or so ahead of schedule is fine, but otherwise we want to arrive exactly when we planned to."  Looking again at the master, he concludes "Governor's orders."

The ship master nods immediately at the mention of the Governor, "Done m'Lord."  He the pauses before continuing.    Uhhh, if I may m'Lord there is just one more thing.  The passenger nods and the ship master continues, "Well its about this, no shore leave business."  The passenger looks about to speak but the master continues, "I understand, I do.  But I can vouch for my men, a good talking to and they won't cause a ruckus, or at least the type that wouldn't be expected at a dockyard tavern or alehouse."

"And if they do? Cause a "ruckus"?  What then?" the passenger asks. 

Well a good bit of flogging would be in order then m'Lord.  I"m not too worried about the men m'Lord.  I run a tight ship and all the men who sail under me are quite familiar with just how firm a hand I have," the master replies, adjusting his gloves.  "At the same time, seems little point in punishing them when they have all served well before the mast these past few months.  Doesn't seem fair- to them m'Lord.  The Governor used to stand in my shoes, so I'd think he'd understand."

The passenger sighs, "It isn't a punishment, its precaution."  The master looks ready to reply but the passenger raises his hand to silence him.  "Taeghas isn't Mieres, and Ashien very well isn't Seaward. The last thing Vamuel wants is to have to deal with any incidents or give anyone any excuses....(sigh)...but you're not wrong."  The passenger thinks for a moment.  Tell your men they will be on restricted shore leave.  Only a few of them out at a time, and they all have a curfew.  They may draw lots to see who goes ashore when."  The ship master nods as the passenger speaks, "And if anything does happen...." the threat is left hanging in the air.

"A good flogging it will be, in front of the whole crew," the master concludes the sentence.

"No." the passenger corrects him.  "There will be no flogging. Tell them that.  Tell them there will be no beating, or other form of punishment.  Only quiet contemplation in the hold until we return to Seaward.  Tell them they will need this time to consider what they will say to the Governor to explain their fool antics when they are brought before him and he will decide their fate."  The passenger then moves back to his table to finish eating, as he sits he remarks, "You may also wish to tell them that when last I spoke to the Governor he was commenting how he had already dolled out his share of mercy this season, and no longer found himself in a 'forgiving' sort of mood..."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:19:12 AM by Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) »
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell.