Author Topic: Taking 10 - Phasing out?  (Read 6114 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: Taking 10 - Phasing out?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
Problem:
DDC is 14, you have a +3 mod to DAC. You can't take 10...actually you'll have to gain 12 influence to get that magic 2+ number. Ouch.

DDC is 13, you have a +3 mod to DAC. Woot woot, no chance of failure.

Right now those advantage bonuses and the odd other bonus can bring you to the magic 10, that makes them hugely valuable, similarly realm morale, keeping it up becomes very important for a temple, even when the GB income isn't good simply b/c the extra +1 might be key.  That gives incentive to get support from others, and avoid being opposed, as it saves you 20 RP in smashing the DC down from 11+ to 2+.

I like Alex's idea though, although I'd be more inclined to try 'fail by 1 or 2, and you can use a court action to repeat the action next turn without needing a regent action, or inflating action DCs of the next turn, fail by 3 or 4 and you can repeat with a court action at +2 DC'- that keeps the resource cost, but reduces the risk of losing the action, right now the action cost is the most significant to me, and I wouldn't want too much resource return for partial success to avoid bloat (not that I'd ever bloat with my costs but its the principle).  But then, as a priest regent losing an action each turn to bless and generally another to diplomacy actions are precious...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
Very interesting.

Keep it coming :-D
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
Even if "take 10" is removed, there needs to be some alternative for actions that are not really intended to be rolled - I am mostly looking a the military actions here. Having to roll for every move unit action and change status would be an administrative nightmare. So if the ability to take 10 is removed, some alternative should exist for those actions.

The problem, if I understand Bjørn right, is that the effective difference in cost between performing an action, fx a rule action at a (total) DDC of 10 and 11, is huge depending on whether you can take 10 or not. It's weird that it can cost you 2 GB to rule a holding at 100% success chance (ish, you never know if someone spends influence against you) and at the same time 12 GB for 95% success chance.

IMO the best solution to that is to simply remove the take 10 rule and make certain actions autosuccessful under certain circumstances. I think military actions should then be succesful if performed together with a wage war action. Administrative actions (fx changing taxes) should be successful if the province/realm is not in rebellion and so on.

Then just lower the DDC on some actions to make them easier to perform and you will be done, imo.

However, if the goal is to make it worthwhile to spend a little resources on a lot of different actions and not make it necessay/compelling to go for 2+ on so many... then something to make it less likely, that all the resources spent just disappear, is needed. Degrees of failure would be the obvious route for that. Andy's suggestion is very cool - changes the action dynamic somewhat, but could work.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
This one will be put on ice for now; I'll consider it in the future, but right now I have more promising projects I'd like to waste my time on :-P
DM Bjørn