Author Topic: Chapter 2: Domains  (Read 9019 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Chapter 2: Domains
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
A question:

In the Domain data segment, the listed order of information does not match the "Domain Secrets" or the "<DomainName> - Secrets" documents.

Its a small thing, but should I correct this, so it matches the layout presented in the two documents mentioned above?

As an example, in Domain data, Capital/Court is one paragraph, but in Domain Secrets, these informations are split up and placed on either side of "Area" and "Population".

And when it comes to Treasury and Regency, this information does not come in the Domain Secrets document, but in the  "<DomainName> - Secrets" document.

I can switch around and clean it up no problem, but I'm not going to, without asking here.  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

• Former players
  • Regent
Re: Chapter 2: Domains
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
Most provinces measure about 2.000 to 3.000 square miles, averaging at 2.500 square miles per province (quite a lot of space). The exact dimensions of a province are of little importance, but most measure roughly 50 miles by 50 miles.

I know ROE has enlarged the size of everything, are these figures taking that into account, or are they legacy from vanilla BR?
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
Vanilla is 20-30 miles by 20-30 miles, so 50 x 50 = 2,500 sq miles is the larger size.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:56:48 AM »
Vanilla is 20-30 miles by 20-30 miles, so 50 x 50 = 2,500 sq miles is the larger size.

Vanilla is on average 1.000 sq miles; so RoE provinces are 2,5 times bigger (in area and population).
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
What about my first question? - should I adapt the segment to match the documents we actually use, or just leave it in place?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »
Embassy: Should an embassy provide diplomacy as a Court action at no GB cost, or a Free action costing 1 GB. There is a small but significant difference. Note that on v3.6 I think most domains will be more pressed for Court actions than before.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Forts: Will have a max level of 5. Castles still at level 10. I'll add at least one structure that will do fun stuff with fortifications.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »
Embassy: Should an embassy provide diplomacy as a Court action at no GB cost, or a Free action costing 1 GB. There is a small but significant difference. Note that on v3.6 I think most domains will be more pressed for Court actions than before.

Assuming it is still possible to exchange 1 realm action for 2 court actions, I'd say the first of those two. Otherwise you need to set a limit on the amount of Free actions available to a realm per turn (3xcourt level or some such).
Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »

Assuming it is still possible to exchange 1 realm action for 2 court actions, I'd say the first of those two. Otherwise you need to set a limit on the amount of Free actions available to a realm per turn (3xcourt level or some such).

Good point. Regent actions as court actions needs to be considered.

Btw: There reason the rate is 1 regent = 2 court is; a regent action is assumed to include both regent and court effort. Hence it can be split into regent doing court stuff and court...doing more court stuff. That was the concept anyway.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
The concept of diplomacy as a 'free' action always bothers me - conceptually, it doesn't seem to fit well.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
The concept of diplomacy as a 'free' action always bothers me - conceptually, it doesn't seem to fit well.

Conceptually it's your embassy that actually adds a court action (that must be a diplo where the embassy is located). But it's eaier to call it a free action rather than an extra court action that must be a diplo action :-P
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »
How could the embassy act without some involvement from the home court?  It seems like it might minimize the involvement, but not neccessarily eliminate it.  But I do see what you mean.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
How could the embassy act without some involvement from the home court?  It seems like it might minimize the involvement, but not neccessarily eliminate it.  But I do see what you mean.

I'm guessing that forming a 'proper' embassy means effectively delegating power to someone trusted - I think a 'within reason' rider would have to be there, but otherwise the embassy should - indeed must given medieval travel limitations - have a fair degree of autonomy.  I'm thinking though that the risk of 'the diplomacy goes horribly wrong in a sadistic yet amusing way' risk would be higher than normal.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:19:38 AM »
OoC:

Edit:  Feel free to delete this post.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:04:49 AM by X-Points East »

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 05:21:14 AM »
Bjorn, I like the minimum source potential rule.  It handles the wizard source potential paradox rather well, as well.