Author Topic: Can a character do two administrative tasks in a turn?  (Read 7930 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Can a character do two administrative tasks in a turn?
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:30:44 PM »
Question is in the title.

In the example in the regent guide, an administrator uses one action to administrate, another to adventure and the third on some other thing.

But I can't see, if this means a character can't do the same kind of action more than once. Fx administration twice, or adventuring twice.

From a balance perspective I can see why it'd be restricted, but I thought I'd ask.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
Re: Can a character do two administrative tasks in a turn?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:25 PM »
Yes, it is possible to take the same action twice. But not to attempt admin on the same topic twice.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
Do you mean taking two different kind of administrative actions or two of same kind (like chamberlein trying to reduce cost of actions by 10 percent twice in same season)?
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »
So an advisor could get promoted to 3 different administrator posts and each season attempt them all 3 albeit with -2 on check because he is only advisor?
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
So an advisor could get promoted to 3 different administrator posts and each season attempt them all 3 albeit with -2 on check because he is only advisor?

I believe so yes. But if you promoted him to a true Hireling, then you could use the 2 adminsitrative actions and have a +2 Competence modifier to one of your other actions.

If you have a Master administrator though, it might be tempting to book him fully.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
I go for two positions plus a supportive action.  A high-skill Administration character can help with almost any kind of action, if you're creative with your descriptions.

• Sovereign
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:44:09 AM »
He is only level 5 aristocrat unbloded administrator so I would not really call him master. However I could perhaps make him AIDE as to give him a training mission each round? I am not sure.

Doing administration as an action have no chance of improving skill no?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:53:54 AM »
Master is not always depending on level. If the character is described as "highly intelligent" and can refer to a fine list of education or past experience, then a valid case for being a Master can be made.

In theory, you can have a Master thats level 1. A medium level Expert will be better, but with time, the Master will have the potential to become best. - There is a matrix table in the regent guide showing these bonuses.

• Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 02:00:49 AM »
I guess muchinwise you are the best Niels ;-)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:06:04 AM »
I guess muchinwise you are the best Niels ;-)

I prefer the term "advantage aware".  ::)

Optimization and good roleplaying are not mutually exclusive, as long as the first does not overshadow the game.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 07:21:23 AM »
Master is not always depending on level. If the character is described as "highly intelligent" and can refer to a fine list of education or past experience, then a valid case for being a Master can be made.

In theory, you can have a Master thats level 1. A medium level Expert will be better, but with time, the Master will have the potential to become best. - There is a matrix table in the regent guide showing these bonuses.

Indeed; Mastery is not linked to level.

Being a Master implies that you have focused on your chosen field to the exclusion of (almost) everything else AND is highly talented to being with (usually an Elite character with good stat placement and maximum focus of skill points and feats).

Most purposes-hired administrators will be Experts (unless you botch your DAC you won't be getting any less skilled ones; but you might START with some).
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
Can an administrator administrate 2 times and then train for the third action?

Can training option 3 be used every season? Only every second season? or?

Training action

3)   Add 1 skill point to a Craft, Knowledge, Perform or Profession skills. Said skills do not count against your limit of skill ranks for class/level, only maximum ranks are applicable. Note that while all classes potentially have all Craft, Knowledge, Perform and Profession skills as class skills, it will be up to the DM to determine if a particular skill is a class skill or not. DDC 15.

Bottom of action describtion: Note: You’re not allowed to run rampant with this action; apart from alternative 1) the DM will restrict any training to cover only special circumstances

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »
sounds to me like you need special reason to use other options than 1) when training. So a fixed formula of once every so or so season is probably not likely to be applied.

But it would be nice to know in witch special circumstances`you could expect to be allowed to use other training options than the first?
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

• Sovereign
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »
Yes. I read it as not supposed to happen with a standard describtion; something has to take place that is out of the normal and involves the character in question as well as the relevant skill?

Or simply restrict it to not be allowed two times in a row? Once a year? once every 3rd season etc.?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »
Yes. I read it as not supposed to happen with a standard describtion; something has to take place that is out of the normal and involves the character in question as well as the relevant skill?

Or simply restrict it to not be allowed two times in a row? Once a year? once every 3rd season etc.?

You can have an AA train for XP using his action - each turn that is. That's the only training option allowed in RoE II.
DM Bjørn