Author Topic: The Chamberlain and the duel  (Read 13536 times)

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
Re: The Chamberlain and the duel
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
Baron Kaven steps forward and clears his throat after listening to the rest speak.

"Again, I was not partial to the politics involved, nor the cause of this duel. I..." he stops as the Swordmages words sink in. "Pontiff Aurlien? I... That may indeed be true, though I admit to a certain confusion on the part. I never looked in the direction, as I was at that moment rather intent on keeping Ser Estevan in check. I thought it to be Pontiff Isilviere, but I could have mistaken the two due to the familiarity towards both the former and new pontiff. Yes, now I think about it, I believe that was the words of Gilbert Aurlien... I do not know, why that didn't come to me before..."

He scratches at his cheek, then shakes his head and continues:
"I know not was was agreed upon in regards to the duel, nor who if any acted as second. I was however taken aback by the use of potential deadly magic in such tight confines. Had Ser Estevan's shield not deflected the shots back or upwards, but instead deviated from his path, the use of magic might well have caused casualties on the bystanders.

The first I saw of Baron Arvour's intervention, was when his ancestral sword burst into flame as he sped towards the duel. From there, it all quickly succumbed to chaos. I don't think there ever was a request to surrender, but I confess to being caught up in the alactricity of the events unfolding, and reacting, as I stated, mainly on warriors instincts to prevent disaster.

It was only when I saw Ser Estevan loose his self-control and Baron Arvour was severely wounded, that I decided to act. I had noticed several townsmen attempting to slip into the arena in the confusion, to what effect I know not, but they would surely have been caught in a maelstrom of events if they where not stopped. It was when that task was done, and I turned to see the turn the events had taken behind me and move to prevent the deaths of those not initially involved in the duel. As the Patriarch of Elenie was struck, I could not stand idle anymore, and positioned myself between Ser Estevan and his intended, prone, target to prevent the death of innocents and weakening of the veil. As I stated earlier, my sword did not leave my scabbard, nor was the knot of peace removed. That steel clang against steel was a result of the first frantic parries, which ruined the leather sheat and barred the metal beneath."

Kaven bowns his head submissively, as he takes to a knee in front of the Chamberlain
"Your Imperial Excellency, present me with what penance you will, for breaking the code of the duel... I will accept it."

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
Ghorien turns to the Arch-Duke,

"Your Imperial Grace, one recalls that though the common parlance is indeed to "death or surrender" the full term that is referenced by such is "to death or surrender, whichever shall first occur" It is widely considered out of all honour, and indeed a breach of such terms, to not offer the yield should the contest present an opportunity to do such. Such is the case or every incident of insult will merely result in dead bodies everywhere, an end that could hardly be considered just."
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »
Taking the floor again, the Swordmage speak to William Osoer.

"Archduke Osoer, the Baron never had a chance to accept or deny my surrender. Further, I was not aware that you had training in the arcane arts - since you read the Baron of Roesone's mind and thus know his true intent, even though his spoken was for sir Estevan to spare my life. Please, perhaps we can compare our experiences and proficiency with the arcane."

EDIT: Removed typo
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
The Chamberlain nods gravely at all this.

"Quite, Patriarch Daouta. Humanity will always choose sides.
 We thank Baron Medoere for his timely intervention, your noble intentions and confession is duly noted.
 And as for Lord Ghorien's intercession, it is quite correct. Death or surrender, it is the choice for either party to make themselves, not for others to decide. If the surrender was not respected, then a crime has been committed.

But We will not allow those of lower rank to speak ill of an Archduke of the Anuirean Empire. Calm your tempers, withdraw the ridicule or face the consequences!

The Chamberlain keeps the calm at all the first points, but at the last point he is most obviously very angry and lets it out in a sublimely controlled burst, a consumate politician.

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
The Swordmage bows her head, lips pulled apart slightly revealing clenched teeth.

"I intended no insult. I simply ask, how can the Arcduke know what the Baron was thinking when all his has stated and said during the duel was of another nature? I withdraw my barb, irony has no place before this court."

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
The Patriarch stands and makes a suave bow to the Chamberlain.

"My apologies Chamberlain. I withdraw my tactless comment about the Archduke being able to read minds."

He then retakes his seat, smiling pleasently.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
The Chamberlain nods at both, smiling sagely.

"Thank you, most appreciated. A man cannot know what another man is thinking, he can only guess. Rest assured, no guess will have an impact on these proceedings."

The Chamberlain looks at the assembled.

"Is there anyone who has aught else to add in regard to the six questions?"

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »
The Swordmage speaks again.

"Actually, I have one point that may clear up some confusion."

She turns to Baron Tshalan.

"Sir, do you accept my surrender as given at the duel before the Cathedral of Cuiraecen? I concede to you the right to bring up our shared past wherever and to whomever you please. I hold no grudge and recognise your innocence."

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »
Tshalen looks somewhat surprised, then looks over at Pontiff Isilviere and sighs.

"I accept your surrender... Let us talk after this day is done. Perhaps some form of peace can be made out of this woeful situation."

The Chamberlain intercedes.

"We also have some questions for you Baron Tshalen. Mainly; did you hear the Swordmage surrender to the Green Knight."

The Baron nods.

"Yes, Excellency. It was right after I tried to convince him the duel was over. But he just wouldn't listen... He said all sorts of horrible things, wouldn't let me decide what happened to the duel and didn't believe that Lady Tanar was serious... He was like a man driven, crazy. It took a full cohort of your men to stop him..."

The Chamberlain nods at this.

"And who used magic arcana?"

The Baron points at the Swordmage.

"Did you allow it?"

The Baron looks somewhat perplexed at this.

"I tried to prevent it... But the Green Knight and the Swordmage agreed that it should be so, so I kept my mouth shut..."

The Chamberlain nods sagely at this.

"Thank you Baron Tshalen, you may be seated."

He turns to the rest.

"I repeat my question from before. Is there anyone who has aught else to add?"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:21:24 PM by DM Jon »

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 06:17:19 PM »
Duke Ghorien shakes his head in a firm no.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
Arvour inhales sharply as if he wanted to say something but then pauses and shakes his head.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »
William gives a nod to the Imperial Chamberlain as he finishes chastising those gather.

"Your Imperial Excellency,  I am not an advocate of needless death. And contrary to the sentiments, perhaps, of this forum, I've no quarrel with the Sword Mage, save that which Baron Tshalen has -- if he is satisfied, then I am satisfied," William says.

"In the absense of the Lord of House Daulton, who should be at this forum to advocate for his House, I would ask that Your Imperial Excellency, withhold judgement, until such time as House Daulton is in order and able to advocate for Sir Estevan."
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
Arvour's lips tighten into a smile at the Archduke's words.

He summons the effort to stand up, waiving away his sergeant's attempt to aid him

"Your Imperial Excellency" he pauses to catch his breath "As much as I enjoy Duke William's misguided attempt to garner sympathy with Ser Estevan in the hopes of acquiring his services at a later date, I owe it to Ser Estevan for the services previously rendered to defend his status as an adult noble"

casting a glance at the archduke "and to prevent any possible injuries to his grace, should Ser Estevan interpret what we've just heard as comparing him to a child. Cuiraecen knows enough people got hurt for my sake these days. I wouldn't have Duke William on my conscience as well."

"We all know the effects of divine wrath, and I can testify that Ser Daulton had been sane and reasonable until the duel. I don't think he should be denied the opportunity to present his case..."

"under guard, of course. He mentioned to me that he is compelled to pursue the fight. I would be interested to hear who may have compelled him to do so, as would everyone here, I presume. Just as we had been brought here to testify in public, so should Ser Estevan. As any other adult noble. If he can command a company of knights and sell his services as a mercenary, he is certainly fit to answer for his own deeds."
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
Robhan rises at the chamberlains request once others have paused, as regards the magic, I recall the night before that I urged the Green Knight to agree terms with the Swordmage should any magic be involved in the duel, and that while I saw petty dweomercrafts and shadowplays a plenty, I saw none of the great battle magics famed in mage-duels or on the battlefield - had the Duchess unleashed the barrages of fire that she has done in wars of yesteryear I can assure you that the death toll would have been catastrophic.

I confess that I had presumed that the council of mages would see to the protections normally attendant at such a duel - the duel of just six decades ago between the 'twins of the west' for example was policed by the conclave, with the duel between their grandfather's likewise so policed.  He frowns, that said, matters moved with great haste and perhaps while the memories of mage duels last long, they are sufficiently infrequent that the council does not keep protocols to hand, Robhan pauses briefly, assuming of course that they even knew of the duel for they are not all worldly men - normally of course the seconds would arrange such matters he stops visibly biting his tongue.

As to apparitions I feel somewhat embarrassed to have retold the cries of those about me now that I am informed by direct witnesses that it was some holy sending.  But perhaps the danger of relying entirely on one view is proved by such - those about me were terrified of 'the apparition' and stampeded from it near mindless, while those who stood firm saw with clearer sight.  He smiles wanly, finally a moral lesson I an glad to have learned from that day.

As to outcomes, Baron Tshalen has repented before the Pontiff, and will likely discuss the matter in depth with the ArchDuke on their journey home.  But good men and women have been harmed by the events in which he was fulcrum.  The Sword Mage seems to have accepted matters - whether others injured are equally sanguine is for them to say.

The Duchess appears mostly victim to me.  While her past is past, it is hers nonetheless and no doubt she will suffer from it in the future and continue to make penance for it.  She refrained, most nobly, from unleashing the full wrath of her magic even in the face of death, and will likewise suffer for years the ridicule of her peers that seek to echo Baron Tshalen's words - for there will likely be many encouraged by the events of yesteryear to issue challenge.  I would suggest that she be left to seek spiritual guidance to see how she might come more to terms with her past. Robhan mutters so quietly few hear 'if she can find her brother that is'

As to the Green Knight - who struck the injuring blows, and likely without whose intervention Baron Tshalen would have continued to suffer in silence as he has for decades - I would trust that investigation be made before judgment is passed to discover why he was driven to the unyielding rage - for it is not the act of the man of legend I have heard so much about.  Robhan is even more quiet this time 'I hope'.

Robhan pauses, as though to say more, and instead returns to his seat.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
The Pontiff have been paying close attention to the speakers. Seeing it cannot be avoided he slowly rise and speak.

"Your Imperial Excellency,
Pardon the time I have taken before speaking. I can answer the sixth question.

I perceived the situation with the duel as both meaningless and increasingly dangerous for the bystanders. Baron TsHalen could not be moved to stop the duel."

Deliberately slow Wallac Isilviere continues

"I invoked Divine Haelyn for help. My plead for help was answered and I suddenly saw the exact reason for Baron TsHalens grivious grudge versus the Sword Mage"

The Pontiff looks the Chamberlain in the eyes with something that can be described as nothing but humility.

"I saw why Baron TsHalen hated the Sword Mage. I saw it as clear as if I was there."

"Because I was. Both back then and right there at the duel. And slowly I understood the terror that had made Baron TsHalen the man he is today. I understood his soul would be lost if the hate was to continue its dominion. The baron and I prayed to the All Farther and we was heard. I believe the Baron saved his soul. Too late to interveene and stop the duel though.

Because next thing Pontiff Aurliens apparition enters the scene with a bright light engulfing the arena and a voice as loud as thunder. His words of warning carries over all the noise."

Pause for effect

"His exact words: 'Stoooooop. Everyone stooooooop.' - said when the Green Knight said he wanted to kill everyone. Things seemed to stop. Pontiff Aurlien last remark before the apparition vanished was 'You fools! You win one battle, and you think the war over? The war will never be over.' and right after the legions of Your Imperial Excellency subdued the Green Knight.

Divine Haelyn and his servant the dead Pontiff Aurlien clearly fund the duel to be a mistake. A waste of efforts better spend gathering strength before the forces of darkness is upon Anuire once again. We need competent fighters like the Sword Mage and the Green Knight. But we need them to fight.

We now this:
The Spider is strong as ever. Recently the Book of Law was stolen by agents of the Spider and several independent sources have the artifacts location to be in the Fell.
We know not of the Gorgon. What we know is we don’t know if he is defeated or not. I think we better plan along the Gorgon is yet to be defeated.
The veil is thin and in need of reinforcement.
The Red Wind was never defeated; set back yes, defeated no. Last season agents of the Red Wind made a move on the other side of the Veil, in Ilien. They were thwarted for now but their aim remains unknown.

I think we should wisely heed the warning."

The Pontiff sit again radiating patience
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn