Author Topic: Dawn at the Cathedral of Cuiraécen  (Read 23866 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Dawn at the Cathedral of Cuiraécen
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »
To the east the sun rises from through a sea of crimson. It is dawn and there is a matter of honour to be decided.

Before the Cathedral of Cuiraécen a crowd has gathered. There are many people, commoners and knights, bards and gamblers, regents and priests. There is a hush as the bells of the city's temples start tolling, greeting the dawn and announcing the beginning of a new day.

The gates of the Cathedral opens and the Sword Mages steps forth toward the prepared fighting ground. She wears her Robe of Blades, the many edges shifting and shimmering as if alive. By her side she carries a bastard sword upon which crimson runes crawl and shift. Her face is covered in a bladed mask, turning her face into a visage of metal edges.

Fighting words were spoken, a debt of honour is to be paid.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Dawn at the Cathedral of Cuiraécen
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »
All amongst you the people are gawking, pointing and thronging just to see the redeemed Swordmage walk the long path to meet the Green Knight.

All are keenly aware that this will be the stuff of legends! The definitive duel.

The sun streams down from upon high and bathes the assembled crowd in gold.
By your side always, young Calen Relas seems none too happy at this development.

He whispers
"My Lady, I'll pray to the Lady of Luck, Sarimie, for sand in your opponents eyes. And to the Stormlord for your strength. For my own part I pray the Allfather will keep me safe if anything should happen to you..."

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:55:33 AM »
Fully armed and wearing shinning full plate armor Pontiff Isilviere solemnly joins the crowd. On this day he would hardly be noticed but for the fact that he is closely surrounded by the Knights of the Sun firmly pushing those in the way aside. Though the grave knights seem to utterly ignore the presence of other spectators somehow their chosen route don’t intersect with anyone of higher nobility. The Pontiff stops just outside the prepared fighting ground. The Knights of the Sun all tall and grim looking make sure the Pontiff does not get crowded.

When the Sword Mage enters the prepared fighting ground the Pontiff yell to young Calen Relas
“Come here if you are to watch the fight”

EDIT: OOC: The invitation was extended to Calen Relas as he was all alone from the describtion above. Walking along the rest of the Sword Mages people the offer is as per ret-con NOT extended (see Jon's next post below this)

Edit DM Jon: ret-con not accepted. This is excellent stuff, the Pontiff feels the protective need of Relas and issues an instinctive invitation. Relas decides to stay in the lion's mouth, brave man. No reason to change anything. Please try not to ret-con too much, just go with the flow.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:29:54 PM by DM Jon »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:15:24 AM »
Amidst the throng of the curious is one William Deaulen, who as both a bard and regent, seems remarkably comfortable in the crowd of observers.  The possibility of witnessing first hand such a historical even is simply too much for him to ignore...

William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »
Having fought besides both the Green Knight and now recently the Sword Mage, Baron Kaven stands to the side, arms crossed and watches.

He has a solemn look on his youthful face, wears a ceremonial breastplate and from time to time moves his hand to touch the peaceknot tying his sword to the scabbard even as he shakes his head slightly at he upcomming event.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »
The Patriarch of Elinie arrives on foot, but with a portable thronelike chair carried by two servants. He has it installed at a good vantage point, as close as he can get, using his guards to push commoners out of the way of his bulky chair.

Once in place, he leans back, reaches out to take the goblet offered him by a servant and gives a small salute to the Sword Mage and then looks to see where the Green Knight is going to appear.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »
Young Calen Relas looks around at the Swordmage's entourage, servants, valets and bodyguards. They eye him darkly and with hostility. He then looks over at the assembled golden knights of the Impregnable Heart and the Pontiff's flowing robes.
 He takes a quick decision and briskly trots over to the Pontiff. With a courteous bow and a kneel, he replies with a loud voice.

"I thank you for the fair offer Your Holiness! But by your leave, it is my duty to keep her Graces' servants and belongings in order at all times."

He inclines his head back at the assembled entourage of Tornilen, indicating his place.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:40:52 AM by DM Jon »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
The fighting ground is a vast expanse of dirt, used for many events of sportsmanship and valor. The City of Anuire also has a grand arena, wherein many duels and grand contests have taken place. But this is a private matter and as such, a neutral place has been chosen.

The grounds are already packed with people. Rumor has run like a firestorm through the city and it seems like people of all ages and classes have turned out. The Green Knight is to fight the Swordmage! The hero of Anuire against the redeemed defeater of the Eyeless One!
 Many are reminiscing the day so many years ago when that horrible being took the life and souls of Armiendin and Nichaleir. It was not here, but still all assembled are gawking, eyes wide open, ready for the certain to be legendary spectacle!

Everywhere vendors hawk their wares, capitalizing on the thirsty crowd. The nobility has their own seats, but even there the crowd presses in, so even some of your bodyguards have to help form a line to push the people away.

Neither Prince Avan nor the Imperial Chamberlain Dosiere has deigned to appear. Avan is away at the front most likely.

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »
At Calen's words, the Swordmage turns her head him. She gives a barely perceptible nod of approval, then turns her head towards her retinue.

The sour looks and whispered words are quickly forgotten under her scrutiny and Calen walks back among them and takes his place. Looking apprehesive, but seeming to have gained some confidence.

The Swordmage turns back to the duelling ground and the crowd, waiting for the Green Knight to make an entrance.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:22:07 PM »
Behind the Sword Mages party stands the "so called" Duke of Ghieste and his retinue, the contrast marked between him and those who stand around him; where as they are dressed in rich, deep blacks and half plate it seems that Ghorien has worn something more unusual. Arrayed in a fuller suit of plate, carefully enamelled in a burnished white, on a base of black clothing, the only actual colour on his person is that of the silk rope belt that splays a scarlet burst around his waist and tied into a peace knot bound through the hilt and guard of the blade he wears on his left hip. Under his arm he carries a helm shaped like a lions head with what appears to be rubies inset for the eyes of the snarling beast, while on his right hip sits a wicked looking long and thin dagger, clearly a misericorde.

To his left and right stand shield and axe bearers respectively, each holding their charge with deference and diligence. Around the three of them the ducal guard has cleared a little space, like a horseshoe shape with the Duke and his aide's within. While they stand waiting Ghorien calls forth a page boy from his household and passes a belt sash bearing Ghieste's colours to him, whispering some orders or such to the nervous child. The boy sets off at a pace towards the Sword Mage herself and presents those same colours to her with these words,

"From Ghieste, your Grace."

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:05:36 PM by Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt) »
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »
Finally Baron Tshalen and his entourage arrives. The Green Knight is with them.

Baron Tshalen steps forth, a gleeful smile on his lips as he greets the crowd.

"GOOD FOLK OF ANUIRE CITY! I HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED BY THE BITCH SWORDMAGE MARYA TANAR!

The crowd begins cheering wildly at this announcement!

IN RESPONSE I SAY; AYE!

TO THE DEATH!

The crowd goes absolutely nuts at this! Duels to the death are rare and far between!

OR SURRENDER!

General booing.

AND WITH NO MAGIC BUT THE BOON THE GODS GRANT!

Cheers and general praising of Haelyn and Cuiraecen.

Ooc: Translating the last part. This does allow magical weapons, armor and the like with innate abilities. But no boomsticks or outright use of magic allowed. It does allow clerical buff spells before the combat.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »

It does allow clerical buff spells before the combat.

And during combat as well, if the participants have that sort of power (i.e. a paladin is of course allowed to call on the Allfather during a duel).
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »
The Swordmage considers the page presenting her with Ghieste's colours, looking down on the kid, then she simply stretches out her arm, allowing him to bind the sash around her left elbow.

She raises her head as the Baron and Ser Estevan Daulton arrives. She stands still as the Baron speaks, her swordarm extended to her right, the tip of the blade almost touching the ground.

When the Baron is done, she lifts her left hand, with the colours of Ghiest flying from her elbow. The crowd quickly falls silent, awaiting her words.

"You have insulted me Lord Tshalan and thus you have insulted Tornilen. We are one, my realm and I, bound by blood and destiny and neither I nor the people of Tornilen will suffer such insults. Today your champion will fall, today you will eat your words."

She shifts her stance, turning clearly towards the Green Knight.

"And I see your word has little value. You claimed that you did not fear me and that you had killed many mages. Yet you wish to meet me diminished, without my sorcery. Did Archmage Cain simply fall over from old age, so you could cut off his head!?"

She turns on her heels, gesturing to the crowd with her raised left hand, then turns back to him.

"A warrior is not just a man who fights with his sword, it's a woman who fights with everything she has! To death, victory or surrender!"

She extends her left hand towards him, pointing at him.

"So will you stand by your word and fight me with everything that I have got? Or do you not dare face my sorcery!? Are you so afraid of me, oh Green Knight of legend!?"

There is a hush as silence falls and all heads turn towards the Green Knight, awaiting his answer to the challenge.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »
The Green Knight looks completely indifferent to your taunts. He looks completely peaceful, almost sleepy.

"I'll beat you however you desire."

But Baron Tshalen angrily retorts.

"Don't mock my champion due to the consequences of your ill-chosen words! You issued the challenge, I decide the rules!

The Green Knight lifts one eyebrow slightly at the unnecessary slur, but otherwise remains impassive.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:32:27 PM by DM Jon »

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »
The Swordmage voice drops a notch to an almost conversational tone, but it still carries fine around the duel grounds.

"Your protests do not matter Tshalen, this is duel between two warriors on the ground before the Stormlord's house."

Her voice rises again.

"This is sacred ground and a contest between two warriors is a sacred thing! Ser Estevan has made his choice, as is his right! He will fight all that I and win victory by the grace of the Cuiraécen and Haelyn! Praise be the Stormlord and all who fights in his name!"

Again her voice drops.

"Let us see what fate has in store for me. No more talk, let us finish this."

With her last words she steps forward into the duelling circle, as she does so her free hand moves through a complicated gesture and faint sheen passes from it, spreading throughout her body. She is suddenly moving very fast, and even when she stops opposite the Green Knight, he forms seems slightly blurred by the speed with which it shifts.

When she is inside the circle, she raises her sword in her right hand horizontally before her face, the sunlight glinting of the blade and the metal ridges of her mask. With a swift movement, she beckons for the Green Knight to have at her. Then she waits, poised for the fight.