Author Topic: The future of the Anuirean nobility  (Read 19568 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: The future of the Anuirean nobility
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »
You have a valid point Lord Dosiere - but equally if one can freely assault someone of rank - however obtained - then the centre will truly fall.

Would you permit some minor lordling to declare Duchess Tuornen a commoner and murder her, because the Dukes of Alamie have long claimed that Berric was Kaeduric's true heir as noble-raised son?  Would an attack of Duke Alam be any more permissable because the Tuor's claim Daulton, the eldest recognised son, as the true heir to Kenduric?

In truth near every realm has some kink or twist in their path which could - and oft has - be used as pretext to assault them - Aerenwe, Alamie, Elenie, Endier, Ghiere, Medoere, Roesone, Talinie, Tornilen, Tuornen - the list of those realms whose status has been is publicly challenged is long and of interest only to those who seek pretext to overlook noble spirit and fair rule, for of surety if the regent is neither noble nor fair then far more ready pretext will be to hand.

Myself I see nobility as a thing of both blood and spirit - and the blood, it must be said, is spread far wider than is generally admitted.  From time to time the spirit of those recognised as noble falters.  When this occurs at the hands of a 'commoner' generally one finds the upstart far less common than is generally told - think you that but the blood of millers and yokes-men ran in Daen Roesone's veins?  What drove him, and other, to greatness but noble blood matched with noble spirit that refused a commoner's life?

As for where random chance or treachery leave one ignoble with rulership, inevitably the upstart line fails - and rarely takes long to do so.  So you need do nothing but avoid them as they fall - sooner or later blood will tell and one truly noble replace them.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
  • Carilon Alam, Archduke of Alamie
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
Lord Carilon rises slowly from his seat, his face drawn when asking in a forceful voice:

"Lord Robahn, while I understand the sake of rhetoric, may I ask you, which kink do you have in mind when including the name of Alamie in your list?"

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »
The Mhor Droene Kavarra was discussing with men of his entourage, when the matter of nobility came up. He suddenly frowns, and stares at Lord Dosiere. Once the confrontation ends, he shakes his head disapprovingly and his frown is deeper than before. He seems displeased with the turn of events, but he makes no comments.
Once the Lord Marshal makes the latest comment, the Mhor smirkes, apparently amused by the turn of events.
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »
No offence is intended I assure you Lord Carilon - merely that just as the Dukes of Alam have, in times past, inferred that they do not fully agree with the succession of the dukes of Tuornen, such comments have likewise been made in the other direction.  Indeed such comments have been made of nearly every lord high and low over the centuries - and acres of land covered in graves from the duels that arose from such insults.

I make no more comment on the matter for others know far more of it, save to say simply that despite their unending efforts neither the goblins of the north nor the elves of the west have never set foot in either realm without paying heavy price, and when unkind fate grants them victory the valiance of the Dukes has freed the land but shortly thereafter - and such defence of their people I see as the truest test of nobility, for 'tis the heaviest duty laid upon them by great Haelyn.
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 02:22:48 AM »
"Though I agree with the spirit of what you say High Marshal, I can only repeat what I have said before. Neither Ghieste nor Tornilen have been publically accepted by any Anuirean noble house of note.

The Swordmage is a Vos and a sorcerer. You know those wizardly types can't be trusted! When has there ever been a proper noble who fiddled with such... Ungodly EVIL!

And Ghieste is a guilder! A guilder! Heirl Diem himself rebuked his attempts at becoming a vassal but five years past. But in the meantime it becomes apparent that the nobles of Anuire want his money in return for closing their eyes!

Shame!
 Aye! Shame I say!"

It's apparent enough that the good Dhoesonean ambassador considers the lack of proper noble blood to be worse than being a Vos. But a noble using magic is just about as bad.

OoC:  It is an ancient tenet of Orthodox Haelynites: "better burn the witches and wizards before they turn out to be in lieu with the Shadow." Too often it turns out to be right, so the ideal of "burn the witch!" Is still very much alive to this day.

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 02:55:52 AM »
Arvour cocks his head

"Lord Dosiere, please. Your arguments go beyond reason. Since when did magic become evil? Isn't the esteemed Chamberlain a skilled wizard? And the College? Or our court wizards?

Were it not for the Swordmage, the Eyeless One might have prevailed against us and you would be hiding from his undead hordes now."

He waves a hand dismissively

"You place far more value on titles than on that which defines a noble. As his Emminence, the High Marshal had already stated, my grandfather was not a recognized noble and yet, through his deeds of arms and his wise rule he created the house and realm of Roseone."

His eyes narrow

"Or would you dispute my status as well?"
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »

Lord Dosiere shakes his head.

"All your examples are College of Sorcery sanctioned wizards. College wizards have since the beginning of time worked closely and professionally for the good of the Anuirean realms. And are accepted by all realms.
 All of them are governed by strict rules, one being that they lay aside their nobility when they join the College.

The Swordmage is not, Count Aglondier was not, the Eyeless One was not, the Warlock is not, the Red Wind is not. You fought the EO, you saw the devastation he wrought! What do you think would have happened had he access to further power, greater income, more men and so on!? The Conclave would have lost, you would have been dead.

This must not happen! The Anuriean traditions must be protected! They protect us against the Shadow. A foul existence that has already caused the ruin of the Empire! Or have you forgotten that it was magic of the foulest nature that caused Michael Roele to go mad and march against the Gorgon?

And yes, had I lived in the time of your grandfather, I would have protested his rebellion to the best of my ability. As it is now, I merely wait and see whether your line can stay the distance and prove itself a worthy Anuirean noble family. Your line has been accepted by your peers, neither Ghieste nor Tornilen have."

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »
Ghieste remains unmoved during the debate, watching the to and fro with some interest and a small smile on his lips, but not reacting to the continued claims and provocations launched by the ambassador. The most he does is call forth one of his pages, while Roesone speaks, and pens a short note. The page moves round the edge of the room eventually handing it the parchment to one of household of Alamie.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 09:26:05 PM »
A page of Alamie takes over the message from the Ghiestean page and with a bow presents it to Lord Carilon. Whilst listening to the debate, Lord Carilon's eye go over the paper, once, twice, thrice. He motions for his senior clerk, who hands over his own quill to his master. The Archduke looks at the ceiling of the Imperial Halls, at the gesticulating Lord Dosiere, before his eyes fly over the faces of the Imperial Peers. With the faintest of scratches on fine parchment, a message is put down, swiftly sealed and handed back to the Ghiestean page, by its Alamien counterpart.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
Far from being upset by the ambassadors rant Robhan catches himself from nodding at several parts of it. It would certainly be better were magic stricken from amongst us - as it was in time before we came to Cerilia, but, dislike it though I do, I must accept that foes abound with magic of their own - and if nobles turned entirely aside from such then we all would be imperiled.

As to the Duke of Ghorien's mercantile past, how many minor nobles turn to such things?  Most guilders have noble blood of one line or another in their veins - as is proven by the ancient bloodlines of heroes past borne by several amongst there number, and no one of the blood is common in soul whatever temporal rank they possess.

As to recognition - show me the noble who opposed the Duke's coronation?  Many could have done so.  Show me the noble who ignores the road dues, tithes and suchlike that are a factor along all borders - those of the former Ghoere being no exception.  There is recognition aplenty should you but look, though as you note many yet watch and wait to see whether blood will tell.

Recall Lord Dosiere that it has long been recognised that hidden seeds of nobility lie within many so-called common men - and that as such many lords have, from time to time, raised up common folk to the ranks of nobility - and rarely have we suffered for it for only the best are so raised.  So, please, watch those you castigate for lack of known lineage for a whiles and see whether their actions over the coming weeks prove the noble or not.

OOC: If Robbie could have toasted the SM - and all other mages, and set a knight with impeccable lineage and 70 lbs of steel for brains in her place he'd have done it long ago, but he's not a noble so he's stuck with her...
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 11:15:55 PM »
The page of Ghieste threads his way skillfully through the room, seeking out his Lord. He bows as he hands across the letter and the Duke reads it quickly. He re-reads it folds it and then nods to the ArchDuke of Alamie before penning another response that is returned to the household of Lord Carilon by his tireless page.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »
Lord Carilon stands and takes the floor, facing Lord Dosiere:

“Your Lordship, our neighbour from Ghieste seems to have drawn to himself your righteous fires. I, for myself, believe that just as a young archer you try to shoot down too many birds, and hence will miss all of them. You plan to uproot false nobility, fine by me. Nevertheless, I feel that, at least one of your targets is a wrong one.”

The Archduke threads quietly in the open ground, in the middle of the halls, whilst speaking:

“Lord Ghorien has proved himself a fine guildmaster, as far as one considers the Golden Dragon achievements. Although I do not consider this to be a knightly activity, the man cleverly survived the crushing of his House under late Tael’s iron heels. He has further positioned himself to re-claim his birthright after the Iron Baron’s downfall, and has fulfilled his duty as a liege and as a peer of the Empire, by avoiding civil war engulfing old Ghoere, and fatally wounding the heartlands of Anuire.

I will conclude by saying that from Alam’s point of view, the man sitting on the Ghieste’s throne is indeed the heir of those with whom my forebears waged battle in the so-called War of the Bridges. That does not mean, Lord Dosiere, that Duke Ghorien’s paste activities have to be palatable to you. Your Lordship will have to provide us with a lot more hard facts, and if I am not mistaken, lodge your challenge to his rights to bear Ghieste’s arms and crown with the Imperial Herald of Arms. Then, if my memory does not fail me the Imperial Herald will have to ascertain the receivability of your claim, before eventually asking Lord Ghieste to defend his claim. Venting your anger, Lord Dosiere, on perceived flaws of the man or taints on his past, does not hinder his right to reign.”

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »
The baron of Roesone stands up next

"As far as I am concerned, both the duke of Ghieste and the duchess of Tornilen are my peers in the ranks of Anuirean nobility. His Grace Ghorien has the backing of heredity, once lost but now recovered, similarly, albeit of longer duration than that of His Grace William. Her Grace Marya, although lacking in acknowledged heredity is possessed of noble spirit, spirit that she has demonstrated on several occasions, most notably when she aided myself and others against the Eyeless One and converted to the worship of the Stormlord. In addition, both Graces have shown firm dedication to the betterment of life of their subject, which, in itself, is a great improvement compared to the previous regime of Baron Tael, who had inflicted uncountable hardships and suffering on his people."
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »
"I believe most of the lords assembled here do not dispute the actual right to rule, but rather discuss the very titles they wear.

Indeed, if we get slightly technical, the Archduke of Osoerde is dead without heirs, the Archducal title lost for all time."

Before anyone breaks in, Rashid continues; "It is just so fortunate, that the Archduke, by divine miracle was returned to life, and not only to life, but also a bloodline. Mark, another bloodline than he had when he died.

And he is not disputed by any, as being the Archduke of Osoerde!

Does this, more than other vague examples, not exemplify that it is the man, the stature, that defines the title one can take?"
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »
I think the divine intervention by returning from beyond overrule the claim that title of Archduke is nomore in Osoerde.

Dont take Haelyns intervention lightly. William Osoer is Archduke William Osoer
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn