Author Topic: #71 Bindier - Defense against the Shadow  (Read 14206 times)

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
Re: #71 Bindier - Defense against the Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Aubrae leans forward with interest at the young man's words. She purses her lips as she considers his words, a frown forming on her forehead.
When he is done, she assumes her previous position and chews thoughtfully on her lower lip.
"We already have such an early response unit - Lord Michael is it? They are called the Knights of Haelyn and are stationed in Endier. Though I have no idea about what politics surround them..." she glances to Pontiff Kharnmoien at this "... and they are, in some ways, tied in with Diemed, they are still supposed to be the unbiased element you refer to."

She taps the fingers of one hand against the backside of the other as she continues.
"It is still the Conclave of Temples that lead the fight against the Shadow, as should be. That is why they have gathered as one - to face the foe and drive them out. They - and the heads of their orders, are still the first and best defense we have against the corruption of the shadow. An influence that we have seen take root in even the most secure places.

But they are but few and spread out, and the threats are many. And, sometimes, the nobility and the common man may need to raise arm alongside the temples or hold the ground until the temples can arrive. It is in such instances that this pact would be needed. For the nobility to aid our neighbours as best we can in the hopes of saving lives, holding our ground and standing strong against the forces of evil that would seek our end. As I stated back in the Imperial City when this topic was first broached - where the temples direct the fight against evil on a spiritual level, we nobles must look to lead men of flesh and bone. *We* must be prepared to act, if and when it is needed. To be united, if need be, in arms, hearts and minds against a common goal."

She pauses to let her words sink in.
"There have already been suggestions of independent forces, councils and forced commitment. I believe none of these will be required, and that it would only work to diminish what we hope to achieve. Of all things said today, it is the young lord of Mhoried here who has most correctly identified the sore points that would need to be dealt with for this to work. This cannot be a solid thing, with clearly defined borders. It needs to take into account the ever changing politics that we, as a nobility, deal with. The temples may strive to see themselves about such things - we can never hope to be."

She gives a nod of acknowledgement to Michael Maricoere, before continuing.
"We shall have no one standing force of men ready to move out at first sign of trouble. However well that sounds, it is still to rigid for a world saturated in politics - and that position is already better filled by the Knights of Haelyn and the Conclave of Temples, who can hope to affect an air of neutrality and cross-border camaraderie that landed nobility just cannot achieve.

What we can have, however, is promises and military agreements, overseen by a centralized administration. And that, honored lords, is something I see ten times as effective as an attempt at forming new armies and defining new leadership."
Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 02:17:23 PM »
The Princess of Avanil reaches out and picks up the topmost piece of parchment. Unfolding it carefully she lets her eyes wander quickly down the page, before looking back at the gathering again.
"When we last met I offered to formulate a rough outline to be expanded upon. I have done that, using the Conclave of Temples charter as a basic framework and reworking quite a few things, and the result, I think, is the singular best way to prepare all of present day Anuire without destabilizing or changing who and what we are. It consists of a few outlined points that I consider crucial to the initiative."

"I have attempted to keep it simple. Mainly to avoid bogging these talks down with the unnecessary, but also because sometimes simple works better than the complex alternative. And this, I believe, is one such case."

Her eyes fall to the parchment in her hands again.
"Firstly, this will, in most ways, be no different than a military alliance between two or more realms. We are not talking about the creation of councils or armies, nor the founding of organizations or large cashes of gold to be ministered by need in times of strife. This will be the simple act of signing a document and keeping each other to our word.

Each signatory would, by agreement, offer aid in the case of an incident or invasion by the shadow - referred to hereafter as a Shadow Incursion. This help can be everything from military, arcane or other mundane means, but should be what they can, when they can, to overcome the current Incursion - based on the single premise that the next Incursion might hit them."

"Secondly, a centralized administration would be needed. This administration's main task is to keep a view of the bigger picture, keep everyone appraised of the situation and lift the burden of the beleaguered realms - leaving them to focus on their local troubles rather than forcing them to spend time and energy besieging far off allies for help. This centralized administration would also be the one to work in concert with the Conclave of Temples to ensure that what is needed reaches its destination as quickly as possible and that everyone has the information needed to best combat the eternal foe."

"And that, basically, is all there is to it. A military alliance overseen by a centralized administration. Anything above that, and we only risk bogging ourselves down in bureaucracy - which would do more harm than good."

The princess glances around the table to gauge immediate responses to her words, before she continues.
Aubrae Avan,

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »
The Duke of Ghieste stands to speak.

"Would your highness currently define any current events, invasions or happenings as "Shadow Incursions", merely as an example; to allow us to gain an understanding of the conceit behind the term?"
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
Aubrae half turns to adressese Ghorien.
"I believe the young lord from Mhoried gave two examples that might suffice to that effect. And I know that the His Grace..." she indicates Carilon Alam "... constantly has to concern himself with the legacy of the Eyeless One in Alamie, as does the Duchess of Tuornen as well, in her lands. None of them, perhaps, are full scale invasions - but they might be Incursions none the less. There is also the Red Wind to consider. Last he moved in force Mieres was almost brought low under the hordes of Gnolls he commanded."

She calls a servant forward to get a quill and some ink, scratching a few notes down on her paper.
"But a valid question, Your Grace. And something we should work to define, perhaps, more closely at some point. "
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:54:01 PM by Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten) »
Aubrae Avan,

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
"Thank you your highness; those examples would also match my likely definition of the term also."

And takes his seat again.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
Emissary Lauriel Anviraele stands to speak again,

She nods to the Princess with a sweet smile, eyes cast down,

“Princess,
As noted wisely, these are very delicate matters, many will fear to be granted such overwhelming assistance and wonder if the helping guests will stay long.
Who should decide on the use and composition of such forces here spoken of? The administration?
Surely the regent by grace will be in command of any forces in the land? Absolute command and loyalty to death, this sworn by each and every armed pair of feet that offer to cross that border. “

She take her place again.
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »
"There will be no overall leader to take direct control of any forces - as I said no armies are being made. No ruler will be forced to hand over his troops to another man, nor would I ask that any besieged party be forced to allow superior numbers into their realm. In all instances the realm under pressure will have the final say in what they will or will not allow into their lands - the centralized administration just works to make such aid more easily available and lift the burden from the conflicted regent, so they wont have to fight diplomatic battles to secure aid, while fighting more urgent ones at their doorstep."

She pauses.
"As I see it, in case of an Incursion in one realm, the ruler of that realm - or whoever speaks on his or her behalf - would contact the administration, alongside their closest allies, asking for help. But as soon as that is done, the ruler should not be forced to continue spending time bowed over a writing desk, furiously sending dispatch after dispatch and reaching outwards when his lands could literally be burning and his attention could be better used elsewhere - leading his people.

From that point onward - when the first plea for help is sent - any coordination between forces and aid going to said realm would be directed by the administration - who, as the name implies, would lift up the burden of administrating the logistics up until the point the forces reach their destination, cross the borders and they can link up with the defenders and drive the shadow, in whatever form it might take, away."
Aubrae Avan,

Offline X-Alamie/CA (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 5
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
Duke Carilon Alam stands up again

"Princess,
 your proposal makes sense."

He nods towards Princess Aubrae Avan

"...but who will be in charge to lead and cohordinate the administration?"

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
Aubrae gives a brief smile as she looks at Carilon.
"Last season you supported myself for such a task, Your Grace - if that support still stands, then I shall be happy to place myself forward as a candidate to coordinate this initiative."
Aubrae Avan,

Offline X-Alamie/CA (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 5
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
"Princess,

you' my candidate"

says the Duke with a loud voice.

Offline X-Brosengae [Cloene] (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 19
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
Count Cloene stand and clear his throat:
"Lords and ladies, now we are up to speed, and those who weren't present in the Imperial City last season know what we were talking about. Now it seems fair to allow those who have just joined the talks this season to speak their mind."

He looks around the table, and sits when anyone looks as if they want to speak.

Offline X-Roesone/SG (Shido)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »
Count Traese Noelon from Roesone stands and takes the word.
"Your graces, lords and ladies ... the idea I heard here is great and has full support of my lord. But let me be a little nitpicker. We had recently in the south something that could be called 'Incursion' - and yes, I'm speaking about Ilien.
Let we assume that Ilien is a part of this alliance. It's ruler, already under influence of Red Wind, obviously will not call for help. How will alliance react to this situation? Will we wait till Ilien begins to threaten another realm? And then, will this alliance act just on someone's judgement or will be there a need of overall consensus? What if a situation will be a little bit unclear than in Ilien, will we wait and demand clear evidences of shadow incursion from the threatened realm?"
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
First councillor of the Spider River Traders
Royal guild of Roesone

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
"A valid question, Your Excellency" Aubrae replies, scratching a few more notes down on the parchment in front of her. "And no, you are not a 'little nitpicker' for putting it forth. But there you are talking about going on the offense, which is not what this pact would be about."

She puts down her quill and looks directly at Traese.
"The whole idea with this treaty and the initiative forming around it, is to be so flexible as possible. A necessity in the ever changing political landscape of Anuire. We will not have rules holding us down, nor a strict charter to follow. But we will also strictly be defensive. No precedence should be set, where one realm can use this treaty to storm in with arms bared because they have the 'best interest' of others at heart."

"In a case such as Ilien, if Roesone finds itself nervous about development in a neighboring realm, they have all the freedom to investigate, or not, as usual. In such instances, I would suggest contacting the Conclave of Temples. They are, after all, our first line against the shadow. We can only ever use this treaty to rush to the aid of those who have expressed a need. We do not ourselves dictate who those people may be."

She smiles. "The world, of course, goes on as ever outside. In a case, such as Ilien, signing this treaty would not prevent Roesone from sending troops if they believed Ilien to be under the influence of the Shadow. You just would not have the benefits of opened borders and coordination that this initiative could provide to back you."
Aubrae Avan,

Offline X-Roesone/SG (Shido)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
"If you excuse me, I'm not talking here about offensive. Let's assume that Conclave in Ilien did not act and Roesone for some reason overlooked the whole situation to the point where Ilien invaded Roesone. Now we're calling for help. Is this the situation this alliance is build for - and what will allow us to do? This example is brought here intentionally, as from different points of view it might - or might not - be regarded as 'shadow incursion'".
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
First councillor of the Spider River Traders
Royal guild of Roesone

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
"Ah, now that is something more understandable" Aubrae nods. "Yes, a concrete example would be a good thing, I think."

She leans back, lifting a delicate hand to her face to hide a small cough as she clears her throat. Then she continues.
"In your example, if Roesone was invaded by forces aligned with the shadow - in effect, if Roesone was subject to a Shadow Incursion - you would, naturally, besiege others for aid.

The first thing you would do, would be to send out dispatches. To your closest allies, and to the centralized administration. From the moment you do that, however, you should not be forced to continue spending valuable time by constantly besieging people to help you, when that time could be better spend amongst your people, keeping their spirits up and leading the defenses.

Your closest allies would, I presume, rush to your aid. And being your allies, they would have no trouble crossing your borders. Others who might wish to aid, however, might run into a series of troubles. Avanil, for example, might have to send troops through Diemed to reach Roesone - and to do that, we need permission from the Archduke. Tuornen, Endier and Alamie, might likewise wish to rush to your side, but might be prevented entry through neighbouring countries and left to flounder on their borders.

That is where the centralized administration steps in. When word for help reaches the administration, they, not you, will send out dispatches to other realms, and secure the passage needed under the auspices of the treaty. They would contact the CoT, look into what manner of aid can be brought to you and how, and keep you appraised all the while of what help will arrive, and, hopefully, give an approximate timescale for it to arrive in -  leaving Roesonean leadership with more time and resources to properly take on the threat to their lands, rather than force you to spend half your time directing defenses, and the other half sending and waiting on messages that might first have to go through enemy lines and."

She stops and tilts her head slightly.
"Does this answer you question satisfyingly, Your Excellency?"
Aubrae Avan,