Author Topic: Sending troops to one's liege  (Read 5995 times)

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
Sending troops to one's liege
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »
So, how would I go about sending units to join Diemed's army?

I think I have to "Change Status"
Then "Create Field Army"
Then "Move Army"
And then "Diplomacy"

Is that right?  4 actions required in this ruleset to support one's liege?
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Sending troops to one's liege
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »
You don't actually have to do all that, especially if Diem is conducting a wage war action this turn. Then he can do all the military actions he wants. So all you'd have to do is use diplomacy to transfer control of the units and he'll take care of the rest.

You could obviously also decide to keep control of the units, do a wage war regent action of your own, march the troops to the marshalling area and join Diem that way. Then you get to take personal part in the war in the west.

Check out wage war; "Military actions are free actions for the duration of this turn." Nice!

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
We can use our S&C diplomacy action to do this?

Oh, and aren't warrior-regents allowed to do some extra war-actions or somesuch? I feel something nagging at the back of my head in that regard.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
Wage war is a bonus action for all warrior classes, see p. 65 of the regent guide.

And yes, diplomacy is what you need to make an agreement like: Transfer control of x units to y regent for w turns.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »
As a quick clarification, the Bonus Action for Fighters and similar permits 3 Military Actions to be taken as Free Actions, not an unlimited number as does the normal form of Wage War.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »
As a quick clarification, the Bonus Action for Fighters and similar permits 3 Military Actions to be taken as Free Actions, not an unlimited number as does the normal form of Wage War.

Nope, that's the RoE I rule. As of RoE II, it's a hotdangwhole Wage War action.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
So, how would I go about sending units to join Diemed's army?

I think I have to "Change Status"
Then "Create Field Army"
Then "Move Army"
And then "Diplomacy"

Is that right?  4 actions required in this ruleset to support one's liege?

First you need to decide if you are going to control the troops yourself or not; if you're merely going to hand them to you liege for him to use as auxiliaries all it takes is one grant action (provided that you have some sort of military agreement beforehand; otherwise diplomacy might be required).

If you're going to be controlling the troops yourself, I strongly suggest picking wage war.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:09:54 PM »
Hmm, as I recall I agreed to send a unit of troops to Morcosoer - they aren't going to do anything beyond 'police duty', so I presume that it is just a move action and paying for them to be active?
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
Andy, you want to check out the "Reconnaissance" move action. It sounds like that is what you need.

Alternatively, if the force you send is enough to "take on" any troublemakers, you want to use "Patrol" instead. In this case they will have the option to engage targets they believe they can take.

And do remember, the treaties do not take action until next season...
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »

Nope, that's the RoE I rule. As of RoE II, it's a hotdangwhole Wage War action.

Oh.  Nevermind, then.

*Frantic scribbling on his DO.*

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:41:27 AM »
Hmm, as I recall I agreed to send a unit of troops to Morcosoer - they aren't going to do anything beyond 'police duty', so I presume that it is just a move action and paying for them to be active?

Yes. You don't need wage war since they wont be doing much and is only a single unit.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
Andy, you want to check out the "Reconnaissance" move action. It sounds like that is what you need.

Alternatively, if the force you send is enough to "take on" any troublemakers, you want to use "Patrol" instead. In this case they will have the option to engage targets they believe they can take.

And do remember, the treaties do not take action until next season...

It wasn't a treaty as such, he said to send them, Robbie sent them.  In terms of treaties I'd expect that they have to obey the local lords to a significant degree if they are on the local lord's turf, and need the Marquis' permission to do anything other than patrol and fight bandits and other marauders.  Given they are there to fight bandits they would just avoid anywhere that didn't want them or any lord who would get pushy.

In practice I expect that if the Marquis doesn't have any troops himself that he 'requisitions' a few dozen of the unit as his guards and issues orders through them to the others.

I'll try and sort out a proper treaty next turn (they patrol and don't bother you, they help defend you against raiders and show respect, etc should do it) when the GMs have some time to deal with smaller npc's.  Fortunately the land is thinly populated enough for the Marquis to be quite hands on and not a lot of troops are going (1 unit, say 3-4 patrols of 30-40 men - they probably go days without seeing anyone...).
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded